Any meetings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skybiker

I'm new to turning and was hoping to find a local group to further my "education". Are there meetings anymore? It seems that the North Texas group has sort of died off from the lack of posts on this forum.

Hope it's still going!

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

No one seems to want to take the lead and organize meetings. We normally meet in the dallas area since a large majority of them members are there.

Dallas, Denton, and FT. Worth all have very active turning clubs and they meet on different nights. I would be a member of all three if I lived in the metroplex area.

Don

I'm new to turning and was hoping to find a local group to further my "education". Are there meetings anymore? It seems that the North Texas group has sort of died off from the lack of posts on this forum.

Hope it's still going!

Dave

Kenny Durrant

I agree with Don that no one has stepped up and taken charge. There're several people interested but that's about it. I was involved in helping with one of the meetings and the only pain was trying to pick a date when as many as possible could go. The meetings I attended were at Dallas Wood World and one was at a members shop. Wood World didn't care if we met there we just needed to confirm that the date was open for them. If you have a place and a date in mind post it and people will show up. As far as what to do we had a blank swap which is everyone brings a blank and we throw them in a box. Then we draw numbers to see who gets to blindly reach in and pick a blank. Other than that we take a few or more pens we've built and passed them around and asked questions. We've had people volunteer to turn pens and calls which were given away and finishing demos. Of course you can do whatever you want especially if you set tings up! Mike Breslim, the guy who opened up his shop, knows one of the people that makes the laser kits and was able to get him to donate several kits to give away at his meeting. It was sad that the weather was bad and lots of people weren't able to go or didn't want to get out but that left enough kits so everyone there picked up 2-3. I'm planning to retire in Feb. so if no one else is interested I might try to get something going.

PenAddictInk

North Texas meetings?

I live in Celina Texas and have been turning for about a year does anybody know if there are still any meetings around the area trying to better myself and learn more.

Kenny Durrant

Apparently there's still interest in getting together so lets try. Before I check with Wood World is there another place that you would rather meet? We met at a semi local turners shop once and I thought it went well. The weather was extremely bad so the turn out wasn't what it should've been. The 3-4 meetings I've been to there where about 20 or so people. If you have or know of a place that would be available be sure to bring it up. Feb. can be unpredictable as far as weather so we can wait until March and watch for rain Ha Ha. Saturdays seem to be the best day so lets stick with that and talk about a date and place. We did have people driving a couple of hours or more so maybe we should set the time a little before or after noon. Also if someone has a topic they would like to discuss feel free to bring that up as well or I guess I can rattle about what I know. Just to give you a heads up on my knowledge, I can tell you more on what not to do than what to do!

Top Bottom