Any Ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

If you knew me, I hate to waste anything! So I am trying to save this one. Last night I found holes and I was able to fill them pretty well. Then while I was trying to finish the rest of this the end blew out.
I have cleaned it up the best I can. But now my question What can I do here?
-Cast this with epoxy
-Add a cap? Made from?
-Could I fill this like they do with a ring?
This blank has promise!

Attachments

• 20210321_124933.jpg
    20210321_124933.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210321_125029.jpg
    20210321_125029.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

If you have a large enough piece of the wood, add a thin accent ring then the wood. I'm thinking black plastic.

dogcatcher

Get some walnut hulls, crush them so that all of the pieces are between a 1/16" and 1/8". Drizzle a little medium CA on the brass tube, while slowly turning the blank pour some of the walnut shells on the brass. Be sure to have a piece of paper on the ways of the lathe to catch the drips and the pieces of walnut shell that falls. Let this all dry, then repeat with only the smaller pieces of the walnut. Build it up a little bigger than the diameter of the other part.

I have also used a mix of crushed pecan hulls, walnut hulls and crushed corn cobs. This combo will give but not a you a mixture of "natural colors". If you knw any ammo reloaders, beg some polishing media from them, they should have crushed walnut and corncob.

This combination the hulls and the CA is rock hard, plan on using a 40 grit skew to bring it down to size. If you have missed some spaces, fill it in with a powder of what you used using CA and the powder.

I use screen mesh to size the powder, you want small pieces, not a fine powder to get the "burl" look.

eharri446

Just checked to see if you can get crushed walnut shells and you can get them from Amazon.com:

Ground Walnut Shells for Pincushions-11 oz Unscented and 11 oz Lavender Scented-2 Bags Total Plus 2 Mini Gift Card.

Top Bottom