Any idea of what kind of wood this bowl is made from

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjmarc

My friend and I cut a piece of hardwood from a pile of cleared trees about a year or so ago. After drying it since then, I recently turned this vase. Of course I added the epoxy touches and finished it in shellac. I am not sure what kind of wood it is. I'm leaning toward maple or locust. I would appreciate any suggestions. I live in south Florida.

Attachments

• 20220531_113733.jpg
    20220531_113733.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 167
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Where did the tree grow? There is at least one variety of maple ('red maple') that is found throughout Florida. However, the darker color (heartwood?) doesn't look like the maple I'm familiar with.

On the other hand, locust is relatively uncommon in Florida, especially as far south as Lake Worth.

Is it possible that it was redbud - according to my tree book, redbud is related to locust and it is relatively common in Florida.

By the way, this vessel looks to me more like a vase than a bowl, although what it's called is probably not important.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll also agree with Royal Poniciana. The blanks I have gotten from Joe, both the heartwood and sapwood looks like what I have received. Very nice material to turn with.

Attachments

• 0A797D4F-62F7-4EA7-82CB-0FEA5F900C5F.jpeg
    0A797D4F-62F7-4EA7-82CB-0FEA5F900C5F.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 83

rjmarc

I'll also agree with Royal Poniciana. The blanks I have gotten from Joe, both the heartwood and sapwood looks like what I have received. Very nice material to turn with.
Hey thanks all for replies. Royal Poniciana may be the winner. It was part of a large stand of trees cut for a new small development next to our community

Top Bottom