Any Guesses??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stoneman

stoneman

Okay, I admit it. I like it when folks post a pen and ask for guesses on the blank used. I never have a clue myself, but enjoy reading the guesses. So here is my contribution. I was not able to fully capture the details of the grain, but I hope you can get the general idea from my picture. Any guesses on what this blank is?

Attachments

• OP00043.jpg
    OP00043.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 453
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
It's either fog wood, fig wood or fis wood (found on ground, found in garage, or found in shop):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::confused:

stoneman

It's either fog wood, fig wood or fis wood (found on ground, found in garage, or found in shop):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::confused:

Monty comes closest with his guesses. Actually, it is "fost" wood (found on side of tree). It is part of a tree fungi that grows on the side of dead (or dying) trees. They can be found in a variety of sizes and colorations. I've only made a couple pens as they are very porous and built like a hard sponge so they require a lot of stabilizing with CA (I'm not a caster - yet) as you turn. But the couple pens I've made have neat wood-like grain and lots of different color/depth patterns. If they were not such a pain, I'd do them more often.

By the way - there are some great guesses here. And as Ronald Reagan might have said, "Well, if you've enjoyed playing the game half as much as I've enjoyed offering it, then..... I've enjoyed it twice as much as you have." :biggrin:

Attachments

• Conks.jpg
    Conks.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 113
  • ConksOnTree.JPG
    ConksOnTree.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 115

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Monty comes closest with his guesses. Actually, it is "fost" wood (found on side of tree). It is part of a tree fungi that grows on the side of dead (or dying) trees. They can be found in a variety of sizes and colorations. I've only made a couple pens as they are very porous and built like a hard sponge so they require a lot of stabilizing with CA (I'm not a caster - yet) as you turn. But the couple pens I've made have neat wood-like grain and lots of different color/depth patterns. If they were not such a pain, I'd do them more often.

By the way - there are some great guesses here. And as Ronald Reagan might have said, "Well, if you've enjoyed playing the game half as much as I've enjoyed offering it, then..... I've enjoyed it twice as much as you have." :biggrin:

How many "shrooms" did you smoke before deciding t o turn one? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

So.........what do I win??????? The pen??? A blank????

stoneman

Monty,

PM me your address and I'll be glad to send you a few blanks. Such a wonderful guess should not go unrewarded.You'll have to supply your own CA to stabilize them as you turn though.

Top Bottom