Any comments or concerns?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hutch9022

Wondering if anyone has tried this and your thoughts on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Haven't tried it ... Seems pretty darn expensive for what you get ! . They don't show them, and they don't say what the "tube mounts" are for, but they do say what the "stops" are for ( making a short blank ) .

( I am not nit-picking, but everwhere they write "silicon", it should be "silicone" ... there is a big difference. )

Last edited:

KenB259

I'm not a caster, so my opinion means squat, but if I were thinking about getting into that area of pen making, the lifetime guarantee would mean a lot to me.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Curly

PSI poaches someone else's idea once more. :rolleyes: They are a variation of Maneater Molds and I'm not sure if that idea was theirs either. I remember several years ago that someone was posting their first molds here that were made like that. I just don't remember who it was. If you are going to try that system out then it would save you some money to get the Maneater Dog Bone Molds at a third less directly from them or from Arizona Silhouette. They at least use the grammatically correct Silicone. ;) There may be others selling the same molds.

Note: I have no stake in either company nor do we use the molds or any of the copies.

budnder

Haven't used that one, but have been happy with Ptownsubbie's stuff. If you're not familiar, for comparison:

sfallsguy

PSI poaches someone else's idea once more. :rolleyes: They are a variation of Maneater Molds and I'm not sure if that idea was theirs either. I remember several years ago that someone was posting their first molds here that were made like that. I just don't remember who it was. If you are going to try that system out then it would save you some money to get the Maneater Dog Bone Molds at a third less directly from them or from Arizona Silhouette. They at least use the grammatically correct Silicone. ;) There may be others selling the same molds.

Note: I have no stake in either company nor do we use the molds or any of the copies.
I remember someone on this site several years ago, by the name of Charlie, I believe, who had made molds like this one and was offering them for sale. l think he was in New Hampshire. Haven't seen anything from him for a long time.

John

Don Rabchenuk

Curly

So it was Maneater that came up with the idea. Then he should get the business and not PSI, especially if there isn't any real improvements to differentiate theirs as better.

tkbarron

Hey guys, PSI is good and hasn't pillaged anyone's ideas. It's a Maneater mold. I will have that model on my site as soon as I can drag out the photo tent and do the deed (should be in the next day or two). As for pricing, they are presenting it as a package deal with resin and mold release. I will offer the mold with or without inserts.

The blocks are intended to be used when you wanna cast a short blank for a Sierra bolt action kit. PSI has exclusivity on those.

Thanks!

Tom
www.maneatercrafts.com

Curly

I sit corrected in that case.

Charlie (newlondon88), as far as I know, made "Resin Saver" molds. They were cast Silicone molds with integral stoppers in the ends. They were made to cast one size of tube so you needed to get a different mold for each pen family. He sold his business to someone else but again I don't remember to whom.

tkbarron

I sit corrected in that case.

Charlie (newlondon88), as far as I know, made "Resin Saver" molds. They were cast Silicone molds with integral stoppers in the ends. They were made to cast one size of tube so you needed to get a different mold for each pen family. He sold his business to someone else but again I don't remember to whom.

Thanks Charlie,

My molds are versatile by design and can be used for a multitude of pen kits. This model is a smaller version of my Kickstarter mold (two chambers vs three). Without the inserts you can cast full length blanks such as hybrids. Pop in the inserts and you can cast with tubes ranging from 7 mm up to 12.5 mm in diameter. The bodies are precision milled on a CNC and will last for years with proper care. The replaceable inserts will wear out over time as do all silicone molds.

The guys over at PSI are great and I'm thankful for the opportunity to partner with them.

Thanks!

smik

I have the maneater mold used sparingly so far. As much as I have used I like. Once had issue with resin seeping around stops, believe I overfilled no big issue though.

Kenny Durrant

I've been using the Maneater Molds for several years and haven't had an issue yet. As Tom mentioned the silicone stoppers will wear out eventually but you should still get hundreds of casts with them. Tom mentioned proper care and all I do is use a good mold release with each cast and don't use anything that will scratch the mold to give the resin something to bite on the next time you use it. As far as price goes yes they are more than the others but I have yet to have a problem with any mold or any reason to replace one.

Don Rabchenuk

I also will retract what I said about PSI and am glad you made out this time but there are still a bunch that took your design. I really enjoy using these molds and have had no problems with them. Just be sure to use mold release especially if using epoxy as that one resin more than any other sticks to everything it touches and does not like to let go. Congrats on the new vendor Tom.

tkbarron

I also will retract what I said about PSI and am glad you made out this time but there are still a bunch that took your design. I really enjoy using these molds and have had no problems with them. Just be sure to use mold release especially if using epoxy as that one resin more than any other sticks to everything it touches and does not like to let go. Congrats on the new vendor Tom.

Thank you sir! Yes, several guys felt the need to copy me, which is sad really. I try my best to be original with my work as most do, however there are a small number who think it's appropriate to copy/paste away.

leehljp

Member Liaison
As Tom mentioned, "As for pricing, they are presenting it as a package deal with resin and mold release." that is a package.

I have been a little surprised somewhat that more people don't make their own. But, however, when I tell LOML to make create her own . . . she says to me : You can mentally "see" what you want to accomplish, not everyone has that ability." That said - here is an Amazon link to "mold making silicone" in which anyone can try and make their own as needed:

I used to do that when I lived overseas, and it wasn't difficult. I still have a couple of silicone molds around that I did 10 - 12 years ago.

Top Bottom