Anvil EDC kit from psi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scrofts1219

I love this kit. The only issue I've had is you can't buy extra 8mm tubes. So you have to buy those 10" packs and cut your own at the specified length. I have tried several techniques to cut them without messing up the ends. What's an easy, relatively foolproof way to cut. I wonder why psi offers precut tubes for nearly every kit but every once in a while they don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I bought one of these a couple of year ago and it's been great. Very little sanding of the tube needed, and HF will ship to your home.
DRILL MASTER
2 In. Mini Bench Top Cut-Off Saw

(411)Write a Review
Make precise cuts in soft metals, wood and plastic with this cut off saw
$34.99

Not a big HF fan but I'm coming around as they've done some great things for me recently. Also, if you have a coupon, like from a Magazine, put the code in and you can usually get an additional 20% off. If you don't, let me know and I can forward a coupon code to you. And...it doesn't need a big footprint to use.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I cut the tube several thousandths longer than it should be. I use one of Rick Herrell's offset sanding jigs and 80 grit sandpaper to square the ends. Once I reach brass I continue sanding, measuring with digital calipers as I go, until the tube & blank are the proper length.

MiteyF

A little $100 bench top bandsaw with a well squared sled will take you literally 3 seconds to cut a nice, square tube, and another 10 seconds with a deburring tool will take off all little nasties on the outside of the tube. Spin the tube on a piece of sandpaper for the external edges and you've got a perfect tube in far less than a minute.

Brotherdale

i have cut mine by drilling the blank and glue it on one end of the uncut tube. Once it's cured I just cut it on my 12inch chop saw, cutting off just the edge of the wood. Then repeat on the same tube until it's to short to use. I waste about 1/2 inch of tube per blank I make.

David350

Hi Stephen, I will second the Harbor Freight mini cutoff saw. I only use it for cutting brass pen tubes and I think it does an excellent job for me / that. I don't think I have ever had to debur the ends, etc, but if you get this you might want to inspect the ends to be sure. I think I bought mine when it was on sale, maybe in the mid to upper $20's. You can also use one of their frequent coupons to probably get it in the upper $20's as well...

mick

Don't any of you cover your eye and shake your head in disgust but I clamp mine to my table saw sled and cut them. I lay several side by side with a piece of 1x clamped over them. Old blade of course! Any roughness I dress with one of those pen style reamers. Never had a problem.
I once tried a mini tubing cutter, I think it was for modeling RR, to cut the tubes but due to the way it squeezes as you rotate I ended up with rolled lip on the inside of the tube

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mick

i have cut mine by drilling the blank and glue it on one end of the uncut tube. Once it's cured I just cut it on my 12inch chop saw, cutting off just the edge of the wood. Then repeat on the same tube until it's to short to use. I waste about 1/2 inch of tube per blank I make.
Dale, I like your idea! I think I'll try it next time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom