Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I led a discussion on turning antler at last Thursday's meeting of the Richmond Penturning club. Since I had prepped a number of blanks for the meeting, I went on an antler turning spree.

IMG_5696.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Excellent pens. Any trouble drilling and turning the antler? I think I have a piece somewhere.
One "hobby" is shed hunting later in the year. Hunters use this to find antlers for decoration and gauge what bucks are in the area.

Cwalker935

Excellent pens. Any trouble drilling and turning the antler? I think I have a piece somewhere.
One "hobby" is shed hunting later in the year. Hunters use this to find antlers for decoration and gauge what bucks are in the area.
I mount the antler between centers along the axis and turn one end round so that I can mount it in a chuck for drilling. This helps deal with curves in the antler and allows you to save some "bark" in the final barrel. I also dry the antler in a toaster oven after drilling to help avoid cracking.

NeonWoodShop

Love them. I agree with Mark - the southwest mesa is really nice. Time for another Exotic Blanks order.

Top Bottom