Antler/Wood/Brass segmented Group

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I needed some antler pens for a donation but I don't enjoy making them. They smell to cut, drill, and turn, and I've had some crack over the years along the tube ends. This January Alan Morrison posted some pens he made called "Baby Antlers" here on IAP... https://www.penturners.org/threads/baby-antlers.180380/ . I was very impressed and inspired by how beautiful the combination of materials he used, created such an elegant pen. I decided to try my hand at it and was pleased with the results. I finished them with Gluboost and then applied a water slide decal of the organizations logo. They were as impressed with them as I was with Alan's so a HUGE Thank You Alan for your inspiration!!

The pens are chrome and black ti Diamond Knurl sets from Exotic Blanks. The dark wood is Sheoak and the lighter is Chechen. The antler is Illinois Whitetail.

The last picture is two I made of antler... one solid and the other are small left over antler pieces cast in resin.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8025.jpg
    IMG_8025.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8010.jpg
    IMG_8010.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8033.jpg
    IMG_8033.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 120
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Very ingenious combination of materials to minimize the impact of dealing with antler. It also presents itself to using smaller and less uniform antler sheds. - Dave

philipff

Antler must be very dry before it stops smelling bad. I like mine 3 or 4 yrs old before I turn it into a pen. And I never allow the inner grain to show. P.

JohnU

Antler must be very dry before it stops smelling bad. I like mine 3 or 4 yrs old before I turn it into a pen. And I never allow the inner grain to show. P.
These were over 5 years old and still smelled. But yes, fresher antler smells worse. Lol

Top Bottom