Antler Gloat!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

byounghusband

Just wanted to gloat a little on what was given to me by a co-worker who just moved here from PA.... [}:)];)[}:)]

2006112144812_PB020062.jpg

I plan on taking the skull part from the very front center one (his first with a bow), clean it up after removing the antlers and mounting it to a nice piece of wood. Then I will use that to make him a desk set with 25.06/antler pen and pencil.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
When you cut those antlers The part that penetrates the skull turns differently from the remaining part of the antler.
In the picture below you can see an arched line above the nib.This is where the antler penetrates the skull.

The nice feature of it is if you need matching pens for a set with carefull planning you can make "twins".
The part above the darker section is antler.The part below the dark section is the skull bone(more solid and color is usually white.)
The light brown section is cartilage that has been stabilized with CA.

200611215045_Keith%20antler%20modified%20PF.jpg
<br />

You idea of the desk set is a great one, I have seen some beauties posted here. THis is just another option.
When I first start turning antler I cut off the crown because it made for difficult drilling.
I know better now.

byounghusband

Can't wait to start turning them....

Eagle,
Thanks for the info. On the pens you pictured, how far below the skull cap is that cartilage? I'm wondering how far to cut the antlers off the capat to still have something recognizable for the desk set base. I was actually thinking of leaving some of the antler stub on the cap and incorporating it into the pen holders... Somehow...[?][?]
Oh and BTW... Yeah, I know[:D]

Travis,
They might have been little, but as Frank said, "Lotsa great pens there."[;)] Should be fun!!

Skye

One word of advice, ala Eagle, is to keep the antler dust as you turn. You can use it later.

Also, dont throw away any scraps. You can use them for centerbands.

wags54

Great haul. Eagle those are some great examples and good advice we all can use. thks
Bob sure not trying to tell you your business but if the guy still has the arrow he shot that buck with ( I still have mine from my first bow kill) maybe you good get it and incorporate the arrow shaft into the pen/pencil somehow. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom