Antler Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I have not turned any antler for awhile and decided to do a few today. I wanted to try to do an antler on the Southwest Mesa Pen Kit. The longer tube required the use of a thicker piece of antler so that I would not drill through the side. This in turn meant that there would be more pith showing. I did a slurry sanding to fill the voids with glue and antler dust. One side of the barrel looks really nice while the other side not so much. Despite the voids, I like the antler on the Southwest Mesa.

I also did a deer hunter and a copper colored bolt action.

F46A9966-2E03-437C-99F4-34C612C3E96E.jpeg
68B59F18-2472-4A67-8AE7-5A8DB35750D1.jpeg
004D9AB3-A0B8-4BF5-B764-87A499A83042.jpeg
C72CAF98-E3DA-4D28-926F-379E5892DFF4.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

very nice.

I had some deer antler to try out but swapped it for a couple of nicely made walking poles with antler handles from a stick making friend.

I too like the first photo . Kip Christiansen told us about the care needed when working antler with dust extraction etc so I was a bit nervous and , anyway I like my poles !

Ill wonder around Fountains Abbey in the new year and acquire some more antler perhaps?

bsshog40

They look good Cody. Thats the nice thing about antler though, no matter how they turn, they all still have that nice natural look. No denying that it's real.

Charlie_W

Excellent job on these Cody! Good call on the glue/dust slurry.
I am usually not a fan of most of the themed pens but, the Southwest Mesa stands out. The hardware compliments the blank without overwhelming it.

The deer hunter: The hardware is screaming "Look at Me" and the blank gets lost in the clutter.

Cwalker935

Excellent job on these Cody! Good call on the glue/dust slurry.
I am usually not a fan of most of the themed pens but, the Southwest Mesa stands out. The hardware compliments the blank without overwhelming it.

The deer hunter: The hardware is screaming "Look at Me" and the blank gets lost in the clutter.
I am not a fan of the Deer Hunter kit either, the face of the deer looks wonky to me. I like the Southwest Mesa pen it has a nice feel to it as well. I think you have to be careful in pairing blanks to that kit however, a number of blanks will clash with it.

Top Bottom