Antler and padouk with slimline kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

My dad hunts and gives me all the antler I can use - of course, I have to keep him supplied with pens!

This is deer antler (middle Tennessee deer actually) with padouk. I try to use all the pieces so this has several antler pieces stacked with padouk pieces between them.

It's BLO and CA.

I could have done a better job of it it I had been more careful to seal it well between sanding steps. I think I sanded off the sealer in places and, thus, I have sanding remnants in the pores at some points. Oh well, live and learn. Next time I'm using antler stabilized with plexiglass/acetone. Once it's cut to the right shape, I'm going to stabilize under vaccuum again before sanding, just to make sure.

Julia

e3830f5d.jpg

20066223501_antlerpadoukagain.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jssmith3

Hey Julie, I like the antler and paduak combination, it is a little long for me though, I had never thought of adding more than two barrels.
Good job.
Janet :)

Rifleman1776

Antler can stand on it's own as a pen material. I don't care for the treatment you gave that pen. The paduk detracts from the overall effect of the antler. And, might be the picture, but the pen looks like it is about 8" long. Stabilizing might not be necessary but is an interesting experiment. You probably filled the voids in the marrow. My personal pen, a Baron, made with antler will finished with CA and after just a couple months, the CA wore off and now there is certainly a 'natural' feel and patina with the marrow. Be sure to show us your next antler pen also. You are lucky to have a steady supply.

jtate

Oh, I should have mentioned that the pen measures in at a whopping 6 and half inches. I think the girth and the photography may make it seem even longer. It's surprising what a different feel the added inch and 5/8ths gives it.

I do like the antler on its own but, unfortunately I didn't have long sections left over from my prior antler pen so I made do, piecing what I had together with the padouk interspersed. Our deer in Tennessee have skinnyand curved, but multi-pointed, antlers. There are usually only two or three whole barrel lengths available in an antler (if you're lucky. You kind of have to make do if you're going to use the rest of the material.

Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom