Antique Brass Caballero in Sonoran Desert Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Other than turning a few beer faucet handles nearly 3 months ago, I haven't been turning any pens, but today, I got off my duff and finally finished up the one that set me on the pen turning hiatus. I started this pen sometime in July of last year when the CA finish got chipped off of the cabochon when I pressed it into the finial. Today, nearly 9 months later, I finally dug up a piece of Ironwood that was a pretty good grain match and made a new cabochon and finished up the pen. I think Ed's post about their new Diamond Knurl Rollerball in Antique Brass is what re-lit my fuse. - Thanks Ed!

This is an Antique Brass Caballero, one of Smitty's Pen Works kits from Ed at Exotic Blanks. The Sonoran Desert Ironwood blank is from Rio Rico Marketplace in Arizona. Thumbnail pictures follow. Dave

IMG_3297 Cropped.jpg IMG_3301 Cropped.jpg

IMG_3294 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3295 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3296 Cropped.jpg

IMG_3291 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3292 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3293 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sweet! I love DI and the Cabochon is a superb element well worth the extra time and effort. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

montmill

Very nice, sold me. Sadly they are out of stock but I can wait. May ask for some tutorial help on the cabochon. This site just keeps pushing and pushing (in a good way). BTW, walked past a stack of Spotted Cow at Costco and thought of you.

egnald

May ask for some tutorial help on the cabochon. This site just keeps pushing and pushing (in a good way).

I just posted the process I use for custom cabochons in the "Kitless, Custom, & Advanced Techniques" forum. The title is "How I Make a Custom Cabochon / Finial". It took me a while to start doing this because I thought it would be difficult, but it turns out that it is really quite easy and doesn't really add a lot of extra time to making a pen. - Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautiful combination!!!! The restock for the caballero is on order--give the Diamond Knurl Rollerball in Antique Brass a try--I think the result will be just as impressive as this pen (which I think you could sell easily in the high double digit to $150 price range)!

We are positioning the Diamond Knurl Rollerball to be able to be a convertible (rollerball or fountain pen) which should command $120 plus at the retail level. Antique platings are more affordable than the platinum series, but I think at retail they will compete head-to-head. What do you all think??

sorcerertd

That came out great! The EB email certainly caught my attention, too. @ed4copies, I really like the antique metal finishes and was very excited to see them on the DKs. They give pens a nice heirloom appearance. I'm trying really hard to hold out until I use up some of the kits I have, though. It is taking a bit of willpower to do so.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That came out great! The EB email certainly caught my attention, too. @ed4copies, I really like the antique metal finishes and was very excited to see them on the DKs. They give pens a nice heirloom appearance. I'm trying really hard to hold out until I use up some of the kits I have, though. It is taking a bit of willpower to do so.
I have always said I have PLENTY of willpower--

-Just not much "won'tpower"!!

Top Bottom