Antique Brass “Maple Leaf” Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aldjmc

aldjmc

First time turning Olive wood and it turned like butter. 10/10 will use again! Also, my first time with a kit that only uses one tube. This kit was a breeze to assemble, and am actually happy with the results. This stay at home order has been great for my penturning... plus my university aged son who has been staying at home with us has picked up the hobby. He's crushed out his first 8 pens this week...so that's been fun!
616CCE6A-6BDE-48EE-B395-8CBB4D0A3782.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks. And yes to the olive wood. I just got an order from William Wood-Write that included a few olive blanks. Have you used it much? I also got some cocobolo, padauk and bubinga to try next. Not sure what to expect.
Yes, I have used olive wood quite a bit ... one of my favorite woods. . It turns well and is quite easy to finish using CA, and other finishes also.
I have also used padauk and cocobolo ... they tend to be less easy to turn and finish because of their more open grain. . Bubinga is quite nice.
My favorite Nth American wood (after olive wood) is Arizona Desert Ironwood ... a dense wood and finishes very nicely. . If you can get them, the Australian burl woods are superb, but getting expensive as well as rare. . In recent years I have used a lot of "acrylic" blanks ... there are big differences in how well they finish (ie. shine) ... but am getting back to woods now. . Feel free to ask about the "acrylics" if you wish ... Rhinoplastics take a nice shine but require a little care when turning because they are brittle. . Alumilite is very fun and easy, but not so good for shine.

aldjmc

Yes, I have used olive wood quite a bit ... one of my favorite woods. . It turns well and is quite easy to finish using CA, and other finishes also.
I have also used padauk and cocobolo ... they tend to be less easy to turn and finish because of their more open grain. . Bubinga is quite nice.
My favorite Nth American wood (after olive wood) is Arizona Desert Ironwood ... a dense wood and finishes very nicely. . If you can get them, the Australian burl woods are superb, but getting expensive as well as rare. . In recent years I have used a lot of "acrylic" blanks ... there are big differences in how well they finish (ie. shine) ... but am getting back to woods now. . Feel free to ask about the "acrylics" if you wish ... Rhinoplastics take a nice shine but require a little care when turning because they are brittle. . Alumilite is very fun and easy, but not so good for shine.

I'll keep my eye open for some of that Ironwood. I've tried CA finishes a few times and I get why people love them, but it gives me a headache and my eyes burn for hours afterward so I'm all in on friction polish. I've done one acrylic pen from a blank I bought at Lee Valley... it took a beauty of a shine, I just wish I used a different kit. My son used an acrylic blank today and it turned out great. I can see myself going down the acrylics path in the future, maybe even cast a few of my own!

magpens

@aldjmc
CA can be viciously annoying, for sure ! . Might be best to stay away from it. . Lee Valley woods are nice but can be expensive.
There's a lot of satisfaction to be had from acrylic blanks, but the Lee Valley acrylics are boringly the same all the time. .
A good source, in my opinion is William Wood-Write. . I also buy from ... www.ExoticBlanks.com ... and ... www.BearToothWoods.com ... but shipping then costs more. . It's sometimes worth it to get more variety for a change. . Sale pricing at BTW can be a big help. . Get on their mailing list so that you can watch for sales. . They currently have some Rhinoplastics on sale.

Last edited:

tomas

Thanks. And yes to the olive wood. I just got an order from William Wood-Write that included a few olive blanks. Have you used it much? I also got some cocobolo, padauk and bubinga to try next. Not sure what to expect.
Olive is one of my favorite woods to turn, It not only is wonderful to turn, but it smells great, too. I like the like the kit, as well.

Tomas

Top Bottom