Anti-aging - Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Although pressurized oxygen chambers have been around for decades apparently the first anti-aging study using them has just been published and the results are amazing to say the least. What's now known is that this kind of oxygen therapy elongates what are known as your cell's telomeres, the shortening of which are directly related to, and may possibly be the cause of aging. To make a long story short, influencing telomere length is THE holy grail of anti-aging research.

So what's involved in a treatment session is getting yourself into a pressurized vessel not unlike a large propane tank. 100% oxygen is pumped in until 2.5 - 3 atmospheres is reached. Depending on what condition the therapy is prescribed for these sessions can last anywhere from 20 min to 2 hours. The benefits of pressurized oxygen have been long established and are far too long to list, from wounds that won't heal to stroke and pre-stroke victims.

The problem is that, although this therapy is technically fairly simple, it remains extremely expensive and can only be had through a doctor's prescription. Until this research was published a few months ago it wasn't known just how beneficial this therapy could be to the average person and has been reserved for patients with debilitating conditions. So my question is, how do I make one of these things happen?

Here's an example of a homemade version I think is very doable...

Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber (homemade)

So what are your all's ideas on making one of these? Where would you go to find a chamber like that for starting material?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

Until now, I have been very careful to always address the topic and never the person. I respect the viewpoints of others whose opinions differ from my own, and I truly make an effort to see things from other peoples' point of view. At this point, I am fed up.

BradleyHeathHays has been active on many websites this year, including penturners.org, lumberjocks.com, woodworkingtalk.com, and several others.

He asked about converting a room into a refrigerator using an air conditioner on woodworking websites, then asked about removing the partition between compartments to convert a refrigerator into a single compartment cooling device on those same woodworking websites. Neither is related to woodworking. Goodhearted people responded and tried to help by asking questions and offering suggestions, but he disappeared from those sites for long intervals and was not responsive.

After the refrigeration threads on the woodworking sites, he began to ask about purchasing a wide variety of used woodworking tools, starting a new thread for each tool. He posted that he ordered a new Delta lathe from Lowes, but then bought a used Craftsman lathe and started asking about refurbishing it before the one he ordered came in, trying to decide which to keep.

When he starts threads, he creates them on multiple websites simultaneously with identical text. To the best of my knowledge, he has never posted anything related to woodworking projects that he has built or any pens he has made. He has never helped others in any community that I have seen, other than to ask endless questions about buying used tools or questions on other topics not related to those forums in any way.

Now he is posting about "pressurized oxygen chambers". There is no harm in posting off-topic threads on the Penturners.org site, but usually they come from people who have turned a few pens. Sure, it takes time to get started with penturning, and he may not have a working lathe yet, but if he is working on a de-partitioned refrigerator and a hyperbaric oxygen tank and who knows what else, I doubt he will have time for either woodworking or penturning.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Speaking for myself, I am done with Mr. BradleyHeathHays.

To my friends here, I apologize for the rant, but someone had to speak up.

FGarbrecht

Not much to add to what has already been discussed here, but having just taken a look at the original published paper, I can say that the evidence presented (telomere length alteration as a function of oxygen therapy) may or may not be true (I have questions about the technical laboratory methods that were used), but the major flaw present is that there is NO control group. Without a control, one cannot draw any conclusions of the sort that are presented by OP. Unfortunately there are many 'peer-reviewed' articles that get published that are basically junk science, and my feeling is that this is one of them. Certainly any conclusion one might draw from this study does not include consideration of building your own do-it-yourself young-again machine. Clinical hyperbaric therapy units are hugely expensive, quite complex and engineered for safety, and patients who qualify for use are medically screened and intensively monitored during therapy.

The likely outcome of trying to build a home version would be at best wasting a huge amount of money, and at worst severe injury or death. Dying in a 'youth-machine' of your own making would not only be hugely ironic, but deserving of the Darwin of the Year award.

ccccchunt

I know this is off subject but there are many uses for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. We have large tanks at work capable of holding multiple persons but they are mostly used for our divers if they should suffer from decompression complications. Our chamber has also been used to treat burn victims in their recovery. Ours are fabricated from old boilers and THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I WOULD TRY AT HOME!

Curly

Personally I wouldn't have anything to do with it but if breathing more oxygen was better for your lifespan those living in Death Valley would have longer lifespans that those living in Denver or in the high Andes or Himalayan mountains.

I hope the OP is smart enough to know that Oxygen itself is not combustable but it does support all combustion. Even having a little oil in or on the hoses and lines in and out of the chamber will self ignite in the presence of pure oxygen. 🔥🔥🔥🔥 The chamber could end up being your crematorium.⚱️ I would be scared to fart in it too but I don't know if that matters combustion wise. 🥴

Herman

Although pressurized oxygen chambers have been around for decades apparently the first anti-aging study using them has just been published and the results are amazing to say the least. What's now known is that this kind of oxygen therapy elongates what are known as your cell's telomeres, the shortening of which are directly related to, and may possibly be the cause of aging. To make a long story short, influencing telomere length is THE holy grail of anti-aging research.

So what's involved in a treatment session is getting yourself into a pressurized vessel not unlike a large propane tank. 100% oxygen is pumped in until 2.5 - 3 atmospheres is reached. Depending on what condition the therapy is prescribed for these sessions can last anywhere from 20 min to 2 hours. The benefits of pressurized oxygen have been long established and are far too long to list, from wounds that won't heal to stroke and pre-stroke victims.

The problem is that, although this therapy is technically fairly simple, it remains extremely expensive and can only be had through a doctor's prescription. Until this research was published a few months ago it wasn't known just how beneficial this therapy could be to the average person and has been reserved for patients with debilitating conditions. So my question is, how do I make one of these things happen?

Here's an example of a homemade version I think is very doable...

Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber (homemade)

So what are your all's ideas on making one of these? Where would you go to find a chamber like that for starting material?
I seriously recomend go back to your pens. This is not for amateurs. Oxygen under pressure can cause severe damage to you, your home, relatives or any people around. If you want to learn, visit www.uhms.org
Take care!

Brian G

PatrickR

My wife works in the treatment of autism. hyperbolic chambers became a fad treatment about 10 years ago. It was a waste of time and money. If these did half of what the makers say we would all have one.

Personally, I find no reason to live beyond what the "supreme being" has given me. Call him what you want but when it's my time to go...so be it. My parting words will be "Later Sucker". Stuff me in some kind of "tank" and stand back, someone's in for a severe A$$ whooping.

Thank you everybody for your input. I'm happy to get it no matter what form it comes in. Turns out I was wrong about something, the home builders of these things don't load it with 100% oxygen. Instead the pressurize with regular air and breath O2 through a mask. So now that the risk of incineration is much lower you're only left to deal with a straight forward pressure chamber, which I agree with everyone here is no small feat. I'll try to address all concerns individually.

penecillin. Sorry to have crossed your boundaries. Although I am somewhat of an unusual poster all my topics have been correctly placed in the appropriate forum. I am trying to keep up with my threads better than I began, so I'm sorry to have lost your audience.

Fgarbrecht, I agree I would have liked to have seen some kind of control group as well. I'm not sure what their P values are based on the the highest I saw in that abstract was p=0.007 which is fairly convincing to an amateur enthusiast like myself. I wouldn't commit any effort toward making something like this happen until I saw that this was repeatable in a separate study as you're entirely right, in the end these findings could be a flash in the pan.

Thanks for the link and well wishes Herman

Yes Brian G pulling the whole thing off would be something of a caper. I've seen setups where people have their own oxygen generating or concentrating equipment so they don't have to depend on a continuous resupply.

Last edited:

pshrynk

Hyperbaric anything is a dangerous thing. Divers, when they surface too rapidly from depths greater than 35 feet can develop bends, which is the release of pressurized nitrogen from the soft tissues into said tissues or the blood stream, leading to all sorts of severe and potentially fatal complications. Add to it the toxicity of hyperbaric O2, and you really, really, really need a baro trained physician to over see it. They use the hyperbaric dive chambers to treat the bent divers and that requires a dive physician to oversee. I took a bariatric medicine course one time for shits and giggles, mostly to get in the diving part (2 2-tank dives per day) but I was extremely impressed with the level of knowledge one needs to do this sort of thing.

As the fine print on TV ads states: "Don't try this at home."

sbwertz

Nope, nope, nope.....makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. Never knew I was claustrophobic! But that thing would do it for sure!

Top Bottom