Another US Made Kit!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I thought it might be worth a post... We're now producing the Apollo kits for Bullseye Turning. These kits provide the threaded bits for making closed end rollerball and fountain pens that look like fully custom pens. With a little creativity the sky is the limit with these and it eliminates the need for costly dies and taps. Previously they were being made overseas but we took on the task of making them here in the US and made a few improvements while we were at it. The new ones will have ACME triple start threading on the cap to body threads and predrilled air holes in the plastic cap insert. Stainless steel have been shipped and we're working on brass now.

You'll need the mandrels they sell and a collet chuck for best results. These are kind of the gateway to full custom pen making or as some call it, kitless. :) Big thanks to Kate for trusting us to make her product and very excited to have yet another US made option out there!

You can find the "Neos Apollo" here: https://bullseyeturningsupply.com/collections/pen-components/products/apollo-neos-pen-kit

Attachments

• 8AC62D9F-EAA7-4E5A-BC65-08A69E3480AE.jpeg
    8AC62D9F-EAA7-4E5A-BC65-08A69E3480AE.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 137
  • A777075E-6187-4FCD-B6DA-E44D5E516A4B.jpeg
    A777075E-6187-4FCD-B6DA-E44D5E516A4B.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NJturner

I had bought the original Apollo and had a few complaints that you seem to have addressed fully in this new release. Bravo!!

Question - since the threads have been upgraded to triple starts, I am assuming I need once again to purchase the mandrels for this, as the original mandrels I purchased now have the wrong thread? Correct?

Kevin

I had bought the original Apollo and had a few complaints that you seem to have addressed fully in this new release. Bravo!!

Question - since the threads have been upgraded to triple starts, I am assuming I need once again to purchase the mandrels for this, as the original mandrels I purchased now have the wrong thread? Correct?

Kevin
Guessing you can tell I made a few myself... lol But yes, there are new mandrels. The triple start ones are a bit tight (we opted not to tumble them but if you find they are TOO tight we may have to change that) You should have gotten an email from Kate with a coupon code for a discount on the mandrels. If you didn't, just reach out to her and I'm sure she'll take care of you. We're making them exclusively for Bullseye so that'll be who to reach out to for any purchasing info.

NJturner

Guessing you can tell I made a few myself... lol But yes, there are new mandrels. The triple start ones are a bit tight (we opted not to tumble them but if you find they are TOO tight we may have to change that) You should have gotten an email from Kate with a coupon code for a discount on the mandrels. If you didn't, just reach out to her and I'm sure she'll take care of you. We're making them exclusively for Bullseye so that'll be who to reach out to for any purchasing info.
The changes made definitely prove you must have made these....! That cap was near impossible to put in if you drilled correctly and didn't put the vent hole in. I prefer triple start threads for caps - they just look more professionally made in my eye. I will reach out to Kate, as overall I liked the kit a lot and would like to make some more. Thanks so much for letting us all know of this new ' issue'.

Kevin

I preferred the tight grip on the mandrel so I left them alone. Quick trip through one of the finishing machines would knock down the edges enough to make a difference but I kinda liked the tighter grip. One of my other considerations was making a longer mandrel to support the piece a little better. Still something I'd like to do but longer we go, the higher the cost due to materials and time spend cutting it down. I'll talk to Kate about that for future considerations...

But yes, I drilled out the cap on every one I made because if you drill to spec it basically acts like a piston and you get air behind it. The 4 turns to put the cap on has been reduced to basically a half turn. We did change nibs to Schmidt and the rollerball is now the 5888 Ceramic roller from Schmidt as well. We've got a direct account there so that was part of not having to really up charge much for being US made and honestly I think Schmidt makes a great nib. It's not one of the big 2 that everyone knows, but they put out a very consistent product that writes well.

NJturner

I like the idea of a longer mandrel. Gives you better support for sure, but can see the cost issue being a limiting factor. If the mandrel is too tight, I can polish it myself.

No complaints with a Schmidt nib. I typically used Jowo in the past but changed to Bock when Jowo was having the cracking issues. Trying to limit my costs for taps and dies, so keep it to a select few more for cost control than anything else. Like Schmidt products - including the upgraded roller ball cartridge! I'll be getting a few of these to try! Thanks again for all your work on this!

Kevin

Top Bottom