Another two new tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I bought this Sorby sizing tool from Lee Valley, and asked John Austin (hanau) here on IAP to make a 3/8" carbide tool for me.
I also ordered an extra 10mm square cutter for it. The tool is NICE. My new project requires a lot of tenons the same size diameter.
This should be a big help.

So I turned a handle from a piece of Cherry I had in the shop. I could have used a heavier wood, but this will do the job.

Thank you John!
Sizing Tool & Handle.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice, I also was unaware of the tool till you asked for the tool bar.
I may have a need for like that in the near future.
As I understand it, you have to make room for the tip by starting the tenon with a bedan, or parting tool. Jerry Measimer demonstrates it in this video. The Sizing tool is made to fit a Beading tool.

MRDucks2

The video linked actually shows it binding once on him and he said he uses it in batches of 300. That is why he recommends the approach he takes as he said there are no instruction on how to use. It will take a little practice.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
To be honest, that tool scares me a bit. Do they ever bind?
They will undoubtedly bind if you don't give them room to cut. That is done by using side to side cutting. To get them started, you need to first get a cut started with a parting tool, or a Bedan if you have one. Hope that makes sense to you. Thanks for asking. A good question.

Top Bottom