Another Teapot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

Multi axes teapot, holly. This is my second teapot and my first time working with holly and turning and bending handles. The lower body of the teapot is a single piece and was made by a combination of turning on multi-axes and carving. I did not bleach the holly and the natural finish gives the piece an aged appearance.

B8E4A214-D99B-4EF9-B14E-FE3B37921D64.jpg

E257BDBE-8E52-48E0-8781-94761BB9597F.jpg

D5873BF0-3D0C-4716-9C00-A8D873A794F3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is very very cool. I think I could understand how it could be held if the pot was perfectly spherical, but I am completely stumped how you could do that organic shape and still have the spout.....
It is going to give me nightmares figuring it out. :biggrin: THANKS !! :wink:

Cwalker935

WOW!! Turn Cody, Turn!

Michael Gibson should be getting worried :biggrin:

Thanks for throwing out his name, I was not familiar with his work until I looked him up. He certainly does some beautiful stuff. His approach seems fundamentally different than what I did but prompts some ideas.

Cwalker935

That is very very cool. I think I could understand how it could be held if the pot was perfectly spherical, but I am completely stumped how you could do that organic shape and still have the spout.....
It is going to give me nightmares figuring it out. :biggrin: THANKS !! :wink:

Thanks. I started out with a spherical shape in mind but kinda got diverted along the way. I plan on doing a spherical shape which I think will provide for a handle as well.

71CE8DF2-13F7-462F-8823-EEBF89DAA574.jpeg

098166AD-B668-417D-A0D5-91FA9CB3E05B.jpeg

2C3A596C-7E88-4EAC-B6D2-D239928E8A6F.jpeg

9D6DA64C-0FC0-4320-8DD7-437B5771A4DC.jpeg

F69F5CE7-9D99-449D-91E6-F2E6FBD774DE.jpeg

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for the picture sequence! It helped my mind's eye to get the order correctly as I kept trying to visualize it!

I like the hand turned tea pots and you taught me something new on the first one - the metallic paint. That was totally new to me. THANKS for posting!

Cody, I have worked with engineers of different "flavors" :) before, and most of them were great at what they did. However, most did what they were taught (and were taught well) but they didn't all have the "mind's eye" creativity to imagine or "see" sequence of events such as this - which is what I thought all engineers did when I was a kid! Your work is inspiring!

ADD-IN: Cody, do you have a "donut" type of center? I was wondering how you would achieve your next tea pot and making it more spherical. A soft donut type of drive center and live center might/would allow a multiplicity of postions. If this is not what you were envisioning, I can't wait to see what you had in mind! :good:

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Thanks for the picture sequence! It helped my mind's eye to get the order correctly as I kept trying to visualize it!

I like the hand turned tea pots and you taught me something new on the first one - the metallic paint. That was totally new to me. THANKS for posting!

Cody, I have worked with engineers of different "flavors" :) before, and most of them were great at what they did. However, most did what they were taught (and were taught well) but they didn't all have the "mind's eye" creativity to imagine or "see" sequence of events such as this - which is what I thought all engineers did when I was a kid! Your work is inspiring!

ADD-IN: Cody, do you have a "donut" type of center? I was wondering how you would achieve your next tea pot and making it more spherical. A soft donut type of drive center and live center might/would allow a multiplicity of postions. If this is not what you were envisioning, I can't wait to see what you had in mind! :good:

I do not have a donut center, I might need to look into that. I usually end up with some amount of hand work- carving and sanding. This one required more than I would have liked due to its shape.

As a kid I enjoyed drawing and crafting stuff. I also had something of a mathematical thought process. I am not great at either one but had enough to get my engineering degree and to be be a little creative. My dad only had a GED but could fix anything with a hammer, coat hanger and duct tape. He taught me how to see simpler solutions.

I have known some brilliant engineers that were lost when trying to apply their knowledge. My father-in-law was a mechanic engineer but could not change a light bulb. I once had to help an electrical engineer install a car stereo, he was making it way too complicated.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful piece Cody - I love the turnings you are doing. I'd make a nice comment on your handles, but see know delicate way :wink:.

Top Bottom