Another Successful Meeting!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well I didn't get an exact head count, but it seemed like 55 or 60 people showed up:bananen_smilies051:
Somehow I survived another meeting. I enjoyed all the new faces and even the old ones:wink:. There were still alot of people I didn't get to meet, but it seemed like a good time was had by all. Hopefully the wonderful segmenting demo was informative. Thanks again Ron for all the material you printed up!! Mike and Linda, as usual it was fun, and Red Lobster was pretty good also. Bill, Ron, and Dan you guys did another wonderful job. I'm still amazed at how many people show up. Dave, thanks for being the trusted photo man. Because you know what they say, no pics - didn't happen!!

One of these times we're gonna have to video tape our ride. Al and Todd were non stop laughter from the time we hit the road at 6:30 this morning. My comical jokes and crazy mind helped fuel the fire as well. It made that 400 mile trip feel like a cruise around the block. I wish all you Hoosiers would learn how to drive. We dang near hit 2 people and even one guy walking down the interstate. Somehow you guys don't understand that the speed limit is 70, not 55. Somehow this is one of my favorite trips, but i'm glad it's only every few months.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Good to hear you had another safe (and fun) trip up and back Ernie! Yep the photos are on the way to flicker as I type and I'll have a link posted real soon.

I have to apologize that some of the photos didn't come out quite as well as I would have liked, I noticed a lot of my shots took a long shutter opening, which caused some blurring on some, while others the shutter went normally and the pics came out good. I have leave the apology to you Ernie, because the one that highlighted your sponsor was one of the really blurry ones that had to be tossed in the ole' bit-bucket.

All together though, I managed 75. A few had some blurring that actually looked interesting, so I left some of those in the collection. Will post a link very soon!

76winger

My Flickr uploader is stalling out on the last five photos, but I'll figure that out in a bit. :coffee:

Here's the link to the Flicker photo set so you can all enjoy:
Penturners - I.A.P. Indianapolis Jan. 2012 Meeting - a set on Flickr

I haven't made any specific notes on any of them yet. but will work on that.

:glasses-nerdy:please feel free to any any comments of your own to them. I may not know some names and details that you do, so all contributions will make them more enjoyable for everyone! :good:

rej19

My Review of Todays Meeting.

Fantastic! We had 60 in attendance today including several new faces and a few we haven't seen for a while. Lots of thank you's to go around. Bill Bettag and Ernie/Mike for Demo's. Indy-Pen-Dance and Evergreen Mountain Pens for bringing their wares with some excellent selections and pricing made available. Dan Mechuta for procuring the location which is working out great. We have some plans for a little payback to the church possibly later this year. Dave Herrman for taking pics which will show up shortly. Special thanks to Randy Kimery for letting us "interview" him about the recently published newspaper article which has turned his new pen turning hobby to a "busy" part time job to say the least. Also to all those who take a Saturday to show up and share ideas and hints that make our hobby so enjoyable. We have a great group of guys and gals and the future looks bright for our chapter. Stay posted for our April date and details. Keep turning! Here's a few of my photos enjoy.

Attachments

• DSCN9067.jpg
    DSCN9067.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN9069.jpg
    DSCN9069.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN9070.jpg
    DSCN9070.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN9071.jpg
    DSCN9071.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN9072.jpg
    DSCN9072.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN9073.jpg
    DSCN9073.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN9074.jpg
    DSCN9074.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN9075.jpg
    DSCN9075.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN9076.jpg
    DSCN9076.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN9077.jpg
    DSCN9077.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN9078.jpg
    DSCN9078.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN9079.jpg
    DSCN9079.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN9080.jpg
    DSCN9080.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN9082.jpg
    DSCN9082.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN9083.jpg
    DSCN9083.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN9084.jpg
    DSCN9084.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN9087.jpg
    DSCN9087.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN9089.jpg
    DSCN9089.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN9090.jpg
    DSCN9090.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN9093.jpg
    DSCN9093.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 208

IPD_Mr

Hey Ron, just wanted to thank you for the print outs that you did for the segmenting. I just can't figure out why they were not in color. :tongue:

Randy thanks for coming up and sharing. It was nice to see your head was still the same size. :wink:

Gerry I was glad you found some time and made the meeting. I still think you have the hardest trip of anyone, including the guys that ride with Ernie.

Dave, it seems you need to get a super high speed camera just for the meetings. Thanks as usual for interupting your enjoyment of the meeting and taking the photos.

Dan, As I said yesterday when we were leaving, thank you and the church for opening your doors to us. This is really a beautiful building and location.

76winger

Dave, it seems you need to get a super high speed camera just for the meetings. Thanks as usual for interupting your enjoyment of the meeting and taking the photos.

LOL, from some of them in this batch you'd think so!. Switching from the special settings for the photo both to different settings for the meetings has been a challenge. As Joe will attest, taking photos in any group setting is not an easy task and it's been a learning experience for me every time. What I need to do is take notes on the settings that work so I can refer back to that list each time rather than quickly changing over and missing something like this time. Some of the newer cameras allow you to save settings for different situations, but I don't think mine does. Something to keep on the list for some distant future upgrade!

While I'm typing some thoughts:

I also want to thank everyone in the leadership of our local chapter, Ron, Bill and Dan really go over and above to get everything together for these meetings. Finding contributors for the door prizes, rounding up people for demonstrations, vendors for goodies and procuring facilities to hold the meeting (and munchies!) takes time and effort. It's a lot bigger effort than just maintaining an email list and notifying everyone. Kudos to these guys for their devotion to the craft and our local chapter.

And my thanks also go out to all the vendors who bring your supplies for everyone to look over and find something to take home for that next project.

Thanks to everyone who puts on the demonstrations and devotes your time to teaching everyone new processes, tips and the like.

Finally, thanks to everyone who shows up for the meetings. You drive the interest in pen turning, share your ideas and experiences with others and we all benefit from this opportunity to join together and mingle with each other. Everyone comes out ahead from everyone's participation, whatever the level may be.

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone for the kind words. The chapter is doing very well and it is a team effort that makes it work. The willingness to share, as is so prevelant in the IAP, is abundant in our chapter. Dave, you do a super job in capturing the enjoyment we all share when we get together. The plans are already in the thinking stage for the next gathering and we hope all who attend gain something useful and meet new friends.
WB

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Whole lot of turning going on!

Well I had a lot of fun! Even enjoyed the time I was up front talking. (Hope I wasn't too boring) Answered a lot of question Saturday. Still answering questions via email. If anyone has any more questions about how I might be doing it, PM me anytime, I'll try my best. The only slight down side of the day (only for me) was that I totally missed out on Ernie's segmenting demo.

I hoped I helped a least few out with my little talk. I'll practice and promise it will be better next time. I know for a fact that I have learned a lot at all the meetings that I have gone to in the past.

That is the key of our great meetings isn't it? If you learn just one thing at each meeting we have...Think how good you will be in another year!

Ron, Thanks for letting me help out with the Indy Club meeting. I had a great time answering a bunch of questions. I didn't know I had it in me! I may not be the best turning there (I know I'm not) as I am still a raw rookie at that, but I do know how to sell things. Retired last year from nearly 40 years in retail sales!

Thanks to Bill for talking me into it, hopefully to be a little louder AND better next time! I'll email you about those tools you make this week.

Dan, Thanks really isn't quite good enough for your achieving this facility for our meetings. This has been a great help in growing our club! Thanks a whole bunch to you and your church!

Mike & Linda you were a great help to both me and my wife - You can count on me asking you both a lot more questions about fountain pens in the very near future! (MY head is already too big, this year it's back down to earth...Unless I get another (Ad) article in the paper. You'll be the first to know if I get one! (As long as it's not in the obits I'll be a happy man!)

Gerry as always it was great to see you - We'll be in contact with you soon. Sometime in February okay?

Dave - I don't care what they say...I think you did a great job on the pictures :biggrin:. You might want to take that finger print smudge off the camera lens though! :) (maybe your taking my picture cracked the lens?!!??) One thing I might say though; next time you consider taking a picture of me you might want to snap on your wide-angle lens...just a thought on that. Not that I'm a pro at taking pictures or anything....

Ernie, what can I say...? (Maybe I better not say anything.....? :biggrin:)

Thanks y'all!

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Glad you didn't tell anything about me Randy. Cause Johnny Law may be interested in some of the stuff you know about me:eek:.

medemt

Ron,

Did you say something about posting the PDF for the segmenting? It was nice to have that reference in one package. How do we get an electronic copy?

By the way, it was a great meeting. It is amazing the talent we have in our group. I am in awe of the pens that our members produce. It makes me want to try new things.

I was especially happy to see so many new turners. We should all spread the word about the chapter and the IAP.

Dan

76winger

Ron,

Did you say something about posting the PDF for the segmenting? It was nice to have that reference in one package. How do we get an electronic copy?

By the way, it was a great meeting. It is amazing the talent we have in our group. I am in awe of the pens that our members produce. It makes me want to try new things.

I was especially happy to see so many new turners. We should all spread the word about the chapter and the IAP.

Dan

Dan,
There's a whole section in the library on pen blanks from feathers to segmenting to celtic knots to much more. All downloadable PDF files. They're all over here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f139/iap-library-pen-blanks-77369/

Enjoy!

Last edited:

medemt

Thanks Dave,

I was aware of all the library articles and videos. I have downloaded many of them ovef the last couple of years.

Ron had mentioned that he took all of the segmenting documents he had printed out on Saturday and put it into one file. I was trying to get that one file.

I do appreciate your input though. I will always take any information I can get even if I already have it.

Thanks for taking all the great pictures of the meeting. It is fun to look back at older meetings and see the old pictures also.

Dan

Top Bottom