Another Slimline enhancement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I really enjoy this hobby! After doing a number of slimline pens with metal inserts for a bit of interest (like my most recent post), I thought I would try putting some 1/4" thick plastic in. I went to Tap Plastic and they have a cut off box. I bought a sample of Red, a White, and a Black for $1.00 each. What a deal!! The pictured pens are my first attempt using black. A Padauk and two Olive Wood.

I cut through the blank at about 35 degrees, using a jig and my bandsaw. I roughed the surface of the insert on both sides using a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface, then glued it with clear Gorilla Glue. I clamped it for an hour or more and then let it set for 24 hours. I was a bit concerned that the glue might not bond well to the plastic, but my concerns seem unfounded.

Turning was a lot easier than turning the metal insert blanks. Polished using my normal CA finish routine.

I really like the result, and hope you do to. Your comments are always most welcome.

IMG_0787.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

These look fantastic. And I'm a big fan of the thrifty approach to finding segmenting material.
I found the Tap Plastics site, but could not find the "cut off box you" referenced. If you're willing to share a link, I might place an order!
Mark started a list and this could be a worthy inclusion:

Warren White

These look fantastic. And I'm a big fan of the thrifty approach to finding segmenting material.
I found the Tap Plastics site, but could not find the "cut off box you" referenced. If you're willing to share a link, I might place an order!
Mark started a list and this could be a worthy inclusion:
Hi Bill,
Unfortunately, the cut off box is in the store I went to, and I suspect it isn't available on line. Hopefully, folks will have a retail store near enough to them to make a trip.

Thanks for the kind words.

Top Bottom