Another set of Cornhole boards.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Curly

Curly

bishop40 showed a nice set of corn hole boards this morning that reminded me of ours I made this past summer. https://www.penturners.org/threads/cornhole-anyone.179505/ Got the orders from Marla to make a set after playing the game at her cousin's place in 2022 for our RV trailer we got last spring.

I used 1/8" Cherry plywood and Oak strips to make a torsion box. I was hoping it would be lighter than the usual plywood and 2x4s. I don't know if they are and would have been if I had used Spruce or Cedar rather than the Oak but when you have a small pile of scraps you go with what you have. I laid out the Oak and glued with Titebond III a few pieces at a time, held in place with weights. I made the hole reinforcement pieces on the lathe, screwing them to a faceplate for turning. Gotta get a little lathe work into the project. 😉 When done I glued the second sheet on top. The boards are edged with Black Walnut. I cut out the hole with a hole-saw so I could use a bearing guided router bit to clean up. Edges were all routed with a 1/8" round-over bit. The legs are oak and I need to add some removable pegs so they don't shift while playing the game. I sanded and then applied Tried & True Oil for a finish. I might have sanded a little too fine as the corn bags often shoot right up the board and off the end. The torsion box construction might be a little louder than a solid plywood surface. When the bag hits it makes a good thunk. I have to play with someone that has "normal" ones to be sure. If ever called upon to make another set I will use foam board as a core because it will be easier and faster, possibly lighter too.

IMG_5921.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg
IMG_6209.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

They look good Pete. The only reason I went full thickness on mine is we play alot and I'm hoping they last for years as I don't feel like making anymore. Lol also, here's the method I found for checking slickness on your boards. Of course, they will probably start slowing a little after a lot of play.
We love the game. I even made a score stand about 4 years ago. Put a 2 beer holder on the back. Lol
20231024_130034.jpg

20231024_130048.jpg

Attachments

• 20231024_130040.jpg
    20231024_130040.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 56

Curly

Thanks for the link. A scoring stand or easel is on next years list especially since the score is forgotten during the course of the game and refreshments advance. I want to keep the size and weight down as the trailer isn't big and there isn't a lot of room for the "things" we need to bring camping.

carlmorrell

Last summer, my daughter, her boyfriend, his brother and gf wanted cornhole boards. It turned out to be a good learning experience for them. We hooked up the trailer and headed for Lowes. I got out the miter saw and a few other tools. I pushed the circular saw, and jigsaw, but let them all use the miter. It was probably the first time any of them had run a saw.

Attachments

• 20230526_211706[1].jpg
    20230526_211706[1].jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 51

Curly

Curly , I think it would be better for you to practice throwing snowballs through the hole , rather than half eaten cobs of corn .
Well actually I could try now because we did get our first snow ❄️☃️❄️ of the year last night. I like the taste of corn better though so I'll stick with that.🌽🍿

Muddydogs

These and the ladder toss game are on my list to make. Yours are very nice.

Curly, do you frequent a reloading forum? Maybe it's casting?

Curly

These and the ladder toss game are on my list to make. Yours are very nice.

Curly, do you frequent a reloading forum? Maybe it's casting?
No I don't reload so am not on any of those kind of forums. In my 20's I shot a black powder musket and cast the 58cal mini balls for it but that's as close to casting as I have gotten. Just woodworking related forums.

Top Bottom