Another segmented Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrylm

darrylm

This is a pen that I made for one of the girls I work with. She's giving it to her husband for his birthday this weekend. It's a black titanium jr gent ii rollerball. There are 200+ jatoba and maple segments. I finished the pen with CA/BLO.

tn_segmentedjrgent004.jpg

tn_segmentedjrgent005.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how this one came out. I managed to drill the cap a little more centered than the body. The body is off center a little bit, I need to work on that. I've been consifering getting a drill chuck to drill my holes on the lathe. Do most of you find this makes for more accurate drilling?

comments and critiques are welcome. thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks awesome!
This style blank represents a ton of work,
and you did a great job.:D
Yes,drilling on the lathe will help keep you centered.

That is a beautiful pen, absolutely beautiful! I make a lot of segmented pens too and fine that the closer you drill to the center, the better the results. You may be off a little on your pen, but I would have never known unless you told. Great job!

To date, I've only drilled on my lathe. The one thing that bothers me is mounting the blank. I use a Oneway Talon chuck which puts 2 dents on each face of the blank. I worry that for brittle materials this will lead to cracks.

Thanks guys. I really like making these style pens. I think my next order with CSUSA or Woodcraft will include one of those drill chucks. I have a couple more segmented pens in line to make, plus I'm working on completing a small night table for my oldest daughter. Hope to get some shop time tomorrow after the bunny visits...

Back
Top Bottom