Another segmented bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

As most may/may not know I do mostly bowls and pepper mills. Recently I've been trying my hand at segmented bowls. To make a pepper mill blank, I often glue a series of 1 x 3 x 12 inch boards together to make a larger block, then cut at an angle to create the 3x3x10 to 12" blank.... this last block I glued up, I decided to turn into a
bowl... the bowl is 11 inches diameter x 3 inches high and about 2 1/2" deep... I don't actually measure the depth, but do try to make sure I don't create an expensive wide mouth funnel. This bowl is made up of black limbs, marble wood, blood wood, spectra-ply Caribbean wave, kosso and maple. Finish in this picture is only my
version of Yorkshire grit... a mixture of mineral oil, beeswax, and diatomaceous earth, applied and spun at 500 rpms to shine up a bit... I've since applied a coating of
sanding sealer and one coat of wipe on poly with 3 or 4 more to come.
104116U.jpg

This is the first one I did in this manner... same size and dimensions.... luckily it has sold and on it's way to the UK (Hopefully arrived by now... can't trace mail internationally through ETSY.
1006201634c.jpg

And one of the traditionally segmented bowls... 10" diameter by about 5" high.... was also going to be a 12" bowl, but the top ring evidently had a glue problem and I lost it... took a 1 x 2 inch patch of hide off my arm as it passed by... but healed up nicely now.
104104 (7).JPG

comments and criticism welcomed.

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CjG78

Beautiful bowls!! I'm always envious of fine bowl turners, and these are a fine example!

Thanks all for the nice compliments.
Having to lay off turning temporarily...
1. it colder than the proverbial well digger's anatomy in my shop... even my lights don't want to come on... and I don't do cold well.
2. somehow I've developed tendenitis in my left arm -- Tennis elbow?? .... never played tennis in my life.

David350

The bowl with the teal / blue (pictured with several other bowls) is my favorite. I love the colors and segmenting...

Top Bottom