Another School ........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

Of Fly Fishing pen kit blanks ready to install the fittings.
Used Curly Maple and finished with 6 coats of MINWAX WBOM Clear
Satin Polyurethane using my Dipping Method.
Most of these have been sold.

Les

DSC04445.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I really like your work, Les !!! . So much so that ....

I am going to have to look into your MINWAX WBOM Clear Satin Polyurethane Dipping Method .

Should be applicable to wood blanks without the fish decals, eh? .... and to inlay pattern blanks from Kallenshaan.

Lucky2

Les, as always, your work is impeccable, actually, it's almost to perfect. If I didn't know better, I would almost think that they were machine made. I always am pleased to see that you've posted something, because whatever it is, it is always so well done.

Len

Lucky2

Les, do you sell the turned blanks, or do you only sell them made up as a pen? I wasn't aware of the fact, that you sold the blanks you made. I was of the opinion that you did the blanks up just for your own use?

Len

rd_ab_penman

I really like your work, Les !!! . So much so that ....

I am going to have to look into your MINWAX WBOM Clear Satin Polyurethane Dipping Method .

Should be applicable to wood blanks without the fish decals, eh? .... and to inlay pattern blanks from Kallenshaan.

Mal,
I use MINWAX WBOM Clear Satin Polyurethane with my Dipping Method on all my wood pen blanks.

Les

jttheclockman

Hey Len if you are interested in making your own which is very easy to do, many fishing supply vendors carry the decals. They also carry other things such as snake skins, abalone sheets and carbon fiber sheets. These are the same things used on fishing poles. Many times those things can transfer over to pen making easily. Here is a very popular site that I have ordered from before. Now stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby have these type decals but they are not laser cut like the pro ones and you see the extra clear plastic of the decal. The pro ones make a better look.
https://www.mudhole.com/Custom-Rod-Decals

https://www.mudhole.com/supplies-rod-building/accessories-supplies/inlays-trim-bands-accessories

Last edited:

rd_ab_penman

Hey Len if you are interested in making your own which is very easy to do, many fishing supply vendors carry the decals. They also carry other things such as snake skins, abalone sheets and carbon fiber sheets. These are the same things used on fishing poles. Many times those things can transfer over to pen making easily. Here is a very popular site that I have ordered from before. Now stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby have these type decals but they are not laser cut like the pro ones and you see the extra clear plastic of the decal. The pro ones make a better look.
https://www.mudhole.com/Custom-Rod-Decals

https://www.mudhole.com/supplies-rod-building/accessories-supplies/inlays-trim-bands-accessories

Unfortunately these "Decals" are stickers and are way too thick to use in my type of application.

Les

jttheclockman

Unfortunately these "Decals" are stickers and are way too thick to use in my type of application.

Les
I do not think so. Have done it. Used CA on top. I should not say that because I do not do the dipping thing so for my application they work fine.

Maybe you would like to share your source for your decals. I am sure there are those here who may like to try these type blanks.

Last edited:

Seethroughme

Les, I would like to know where to get that decal also. My husband wants to make a fly fishing pen for his boss. He was going to do plain wood, but those are really nice!

magpens

@Seethroughme

Kim, here is another way to make up a Fly Fishing pen with a fish image on it:

This fish image blank is actually made from wood pieces. . These parts are made by .... www.Kallenshaanwoods.com ...
The pen kit is the usual Fly Fishing pen kit from PSI.

The first link I gave is for the purchase (from PSI) of the blank and the pen kit together ... you get everything you need.
It works out $5 cheaper this way compared to buying the blank parts from Kallenshaan who is the maker of those parts.

I should also say .... Welcome to IAP, Kim !!!

jttheclockman

I don't think Les should be asked to divulge his secrets if he is making the blanks to sell o_O.
Anyway, I thought he was printing his own .
He was asked if he would. Why don't we let him tell us. This is a pen turning site where we make pens. Secrets are shared all the time here or how do we ever get anywhere. Maybe he is printing his own then just say so.

Ironwood

He was asked if he would. Why don't we let him tell us. This is a pen turning site where we make pens. Secrets are shared all the time here or how do we ever get anywhere. Maybe he is printing his own then just say so.
It came across that he was being pressured to me. But by all means let's let Les decide if he wants to tell. After all, it's his time, money, and hours of research that has perfected his process.

It's not an uncommon thing for experienced craftsman to stop posting on forums because of constant hounding of how they do things, I have seen it on this forum and others, and I am sure you've seen it too, whether you want to admit it or not.
In fact, I stopped posting on all forums about a certain type/style of pen that I make and sell, about 5 years ago because of the constant PMs wanting full details of my work.
I know I am not the first to feel this way, and I won't be the last.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

No secrets here. This is how I do my decal application.

Les
Well there you go. These are water slide decals. We all know there are other tutorials in both the library and on utube on how to do waterslide decals. I have done some myself so the mystery is solved and no blood was lost. Thanks Les.

Brad I understand what you are saying but it was 2 people me and another person that asked. Did not see where the badgering was. If he chose not to say it is up to him. He placed this in blank making forum not the sales forum so if he is selling he should move it to there. When you show blanks in this forum you are going to get asked questions and that should be expected. As far as me I have never turned down anyone who has asked me questions on something I make. Now sometimes things are just too difficult to explain properly because we may use techniques that are something we worked out over time. I am working on a pen right now that I bet the first question will be where did I get the material. It has never been used that I know of. Will see. There are a few pens here that I tried to get the OP to disclose his secrets or at least lead me somewhat because I liked the final product so much and still do. But they chose not to and I respect that so I will attempt my own version at some time. My Dad always said though you will never know if you do not ask. We tell all the newbies here that the only dumb question is the one that does not get asked. So baggering I don't think so.

Seethroughme

@Seethroughme

Kim, here is another way to make up a Fly Fishing pen with a fish image on it:

This fish image blank is actually made from wood pieces. . These parts are made by .... www.Kallenshaanwoods.com ...
The pen kit is the usual Fly Fishing pen kit from PSI.

The first link I gave is for the purchase (from PSI) of the blank and the pen kit together ... you get everything you need.
It works out $5 cheaper this way compared to buying the blank parts from Kallenshaan who is the maker of those parts.

I should also say .... Welcome to IAP, Kim !!!

Thank you for the link, advice and the welcome! I guess I need to figure out how to turn on notifications so I can get an email or text that I have replies!! LOL

Willee

No secrets here. This is how I do my decal application.

Les
Thank you Les, for sharing that.
I doubt I ever do a decal pen ... that is just not my style ... but thanks again.
Your pens are very well done and attractive.
"We are the dreamers of dreams and the makers of art".
I have learned just about everything I know about pen making from others sharing their experiences.
I can fully understand someone if they would rather keep a secret and that is cool.
The Pool Cue making side of it was really a tight group for a long time and it was very hard to get information about it unless you had a cue maker friend that would share knowledge with you.
Then Chris Hightower published a book about cue making and all heck broke lose over it.
Eventually it all died down and now every is happy again.

jttheclockman

Thank you Les, for sharing that.
I doubt I ever do a decal pen ... that is just not my style ... but thanks again.
Your pens are very well done and attractive.
"We are the dreamers of dreams and the makers of art".
I have learned just about everything I know about pen making from others sharing their experiences.
I can fully understand someone if they would rather keep a secret and that is cool.
The Pool Cue making side of it was really a tight group for a long time and it was very hard to get information about it unless you had a cue maker friend that would share knowledge with you.
Then Chris Hightower published a book about cue making and all heck broke lose over it.
Eventually it all died down and now every is happy again.

Hey Willie PM sent

Top Bottom