Another question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I put up a thread a couple days ago asking what you were working on and many have graciously replied and showed we are busy beavers. Within that thread I noticed a few people including myself acknowledge some pens we are working on for family, friends or charities and this is always so satisfying. But got me into thinking has anyone stop to truely make a dream pen for themselves? That one idea of a pen that really stuck in your mind and wanted to make for yourself but always something got in your way. We as pen turners am sure have all made pens that we carry around with ourselves and love showing off but is it that very very special pen that you are super proud of and would actually want to take with you to your after life?? (how about that questiono_O) If so would love to see photos and if there is a story behind it please share. If you have not made yet just tell us a little bit about it. I have not made that pen yet but have gathered all materials and worked on the idea in my head. If I can pull it off it will be a one of a kind and only be mine. Some tricky material is involved so not sure of ability to make but when I do I will be boasting hard about it. I will give these hints, it will be watch part cast on tube pen with a truck theme. May sound silly but not to me. Anyway how about it? Does anyone want to play? Thanks in advance. I do hope we do get to make that special one of a kind personal pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I have my Dad's watch and my Mom's watch and would like to combine them in a watch parts pen. I can't bring myself to tear them apart, possibly and probably ruining both in the process. I'm better off keeping the watches as they are and that's probably what I'll do, but I still think of doing it from time to time.

Alan Morrison

That's a great question, John.
I made some pens from some of my late father's tool handles and gave them to my siblings. Kept one for myself.
When my Aunt's house was cleared out I made 15 pens from a piece of her furniture, for the next generation, but not one for myself.
I have never made a really special one for me, but you have got me thinking.
New entry on my bucket list.

Kenny Durrant

I posted some pens and stands I made with a basketball court floor I got from Texas A&M University. They went to a retired coach, players and some staff. I also made pens for friends and made one for myself. As far as pens I carry it depends on what I'm into at that time. I like the snakeskins and I carry an Abalone Shell Rollerball at the moment. Just as a reminder and to the new turners when you carry one of your pens carry a good one. When you show it off let people see what your capable of.

EricRN

Great question. I am sort of int he same boat as you John--I've worked out the design (sort of), and collected some of the materials (sort of). Here's where I'm at, I have a piece of vintage Waterman Silver Ray cellulose acetate (here's a picture of the original Waterman pen from the 1930s). It's very narrow. Just south of 11mm in diameter, so it will have to be the body, and I will have to come up with something else for the body finial and the cap--Will probably use some black ebonite, maybe a black acrylic.

I've also designed some custom fittings using sketchup. For this "dream pen," I really want to use sterling silver. I don't have the skills to thread and the narrow size of the Waterman material adds to the challenge. I think I've figured out a way how I can have the silver fittings cast and then fabricate threads that will epoxy to the silver, but I need to test it out, ideally on a lower-cost metal than silver. It is going to be tricky. Once I've prototyped the design, I need to practice. A lot. I want to make 100% sure I won't mess up the Waterman.

Thanks for posting. This is a nice prompt to really get moving on this project.

jttheclockman

I have my Dad's watch and my Mom's watch and would like to combine them in a watch parts pen. I can't bring myself to tear them apart, possibly and probably ruining both in the process. I'm better off keeping the watches as they are and that's probably what I'll do, but I still think of doing it from time to time.
Wow Ken I am in the same boat as you. My Dad liked his watches. They were all Timex and cheaper watches but he always felt he had to have a watch on. That always wound up being a Christmas or birthday present. I have all of them and was going to do a portrait thing with the watches and give them to my brother and sisters. Being I did not and he has passed 16 years ago, I lost my older sister 2 years ago due to covid and regret not doing that project. Your post may have kicked me in the butt. I just am not sure. Memories. I even made my Dad a desk watch, we put it in his casket to take with him in his other life. He was a huge Yankees fan so naturally I had to make a Yankee watch.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Great question. I am sort of int he same boat as you John--I've worked out the design (sort of), and collected some of the materials (sort of). Here's where I'm at, I have a piece of vintage Waterman Silver Ray cellulose acetate (here's a picture of the original Waterman pen from the 1930s). It's very narrow. Just south of 11mm in diameter, so it will have to be the body, and I will have to come up with something else for the body finial and the cap--Will probably use some black ebonite, maybe a black acrylic.

I've also designed some custom fittings using sketchup. For this "dream pen," I really want to use sterling silver. I don't have the skills to thread and the narrow size of the Waterman material adds to the challenge. I think I've figured out a way how I can have the silver fittings cast and then fabricate threads that will epoxy to the silver, but I need to test it out, ideally on a lower-cost metal than silver. It is going to be tricky. Once I've prototyped the design, I need to practice. A lot. I want to make 100% sure I won't mess up the Waterman.

Thanks for posting. This is a nice prompt to really get moving on this project.
Wow why can't we find blanks like some of these top pen makers use. That is a fantastic blank and example of a pen worthy of the effort.

woodwzrd

I made bullet pens from all of the casings from my grandfathers honor guard as well as some left over hickory that I used on his urn, that started life as an evener for hitching horses, that I found when we were cleaning out one of his sheds. I gave the pens to my parents, uncle, and my siblings and of course kept one for my self. It is one of my most cherished pen because in a way my grandpa was my hero.

Aside form that, I turn myself a new pen every year in the first week of January. After using is for a year (or until I turn another one that I just can't part with) it goes in my collection. This year I made a Jr. Zen in gunmetal with ancient bog oak from Ireland and a red died mammoth tooth band. I absolutely loved the way it turned out and when I was telling a lady about the material she reached in her purse and pulled out $150 and said "I want to buy your pen". She wanted to buy it for her sister as a birthday gift who always wanted to be a paleontologist when she was younger. There was no way I could turn her down so now, I'm going turn myself a new one that is a full sized gunmetal Zen with a blue died mammoth tooth bad

cl1237

I've been turning for just under a year and probably have around 100 under my belt. I've kept 10 or so for my personal collection and a couple daily users that stay on my work uniform…nothing too fancy, but nice looking pens. There are two pens, however that I am most proud of and show off any chance I get. They concept for the blanks isn't unique as it many other turners have made and turned the same materials, but it was very satisfying to make and turn my own blanks.
First is a Gatsby Grande with a corn cob blank. I used the wood hardener method to stabilize it. This was also my first attempt at a CA finish. The second is a bolt action with denim micarta. I used bondo fiberglass resin to make the blank. I think I finally have my CA finish process nailed down and am very please with how it turned out.

Attachments

• 8499B1F3-358B-41E4-B5EB-D2C97FCEF738.jpeg
    8499B1F3-358B-41E4-B5EB-D2C97FCEF738.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 53D94EA2-6BF1-402F-8F1B-C09139FC40E6.jpeg
    53D94EA2-6BF1-402F-8F1B-C09139FC40E6.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 63

SteveJ

One of the earlier pens I turned was a slimline from a piece of the apple tree in my parents back yard - my dad introduced me to pen making and when he passed I inherited his equipment (some of which I've never used!). Although I seldom carry the pen, it stands as one of my most treasured. Although I've got some ideas for more fancy pens, none will match the sentimental value of that pen.

hallelujahal

One of the earlier pens I turned was a slimline from a piece of the apple tree in my parents back yard - my dad introduced me to pen making and when he passed I inherited his equipment (some of which I've never used!). Although I seldom carry the pen, it stands as one of my most treasured. Although I've got some ideas for more fancy pens, none will match the sentimental value of that pen.
That's really nice Steve đź‘Ť

sorcerertd

I have not come up with a "dream pen" that I must have yet. These were all made specifically for myself and are what I carry most often. My skills are a little better since making that cigar, but I still love it.

I made this to look like desert camo. Click pens are so very convenient.

camoclick.jpg

This is a big ben from PSI in Rhodium. The blank is dyed box elder. The materials were chosen to look like Van Gogh's Starry Night painting. A classic cigar pen is always a good bet.

StNgt.jpg

This one... I'm not 100% happy with the finish (it's a little too much), but I do love this pen. Jr. Milton in bog oak with crushed labradorite inlay. This is what I most frequently carry.

jr.bog.open.jpg

Top Bottom