Another question for the Phoenix folks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I've applied for another position in the area and I need to know a little more. My wife is a Math teacher (the best in her HS, in fact) and I need to know what her employment situation might look like. Do any of you happen to know if the area has a need or shortage of Math teachers?

No guarantees I'll get the job, but I don't want to go into this without looking out for her.

TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Well I don't know if there is a shortage but they sure are building schools pretty fast around here. My BIL is a HS history teacher and didn't seem to have problem getting a job. There are 3 HS with 5-7 miles of my house, one existing, one under construction, and one with a sign that says it is going to be a school. There are quite a few private schools also that, if I am not mistaken, pay much better than public school.

PenWorks

Thanks Ed [:D] But my schoolin days are over [8D]

Billy, didn't you just read it was 115 here, [:0] but with that said, it is still
the best place to live 8 months out of the year. I will send you a PM to a teacher friend of mine.

mick

Billy , totally different state, heck whole different area of the country, but my Step daughter, who graduated with a math degree, got a job at a high school in one of our more affluent areas, without the benefit of a teaching certificate, simply because as the Principle said "there are never enough math teachers to choose from". She left an Actuary position and took a pay cut so she must really want to teach.
I wonder if this holds true all over the country, after all how many math nerds can there be out there.......[:D] (no offense meant Billy my SD is a self-proclaimed math nerd) Of course the fact that the school needed an assistant softball coach never entered into it.(she went to college on a full ride as a catcher)

vick

Billy,
I believe that their is a stortage of teachers in the area, but you may want to look I believe that the teaching slaries in the area are signifigantly lower than in other areas.

alamocdc

Thanks, guys, I'm well aware of what arid desert temperatures are like. I grew up in West Texas and I remember temps of 120 in the shade. Granted they didn't happen everyday of the summer, but the 100 and teens is common. I've even taken a six hour motorcycle ride through the 113 degree West Texas desert. Nearly got a heat stroke, but it was a great ride. Besides, I'd take 115 degrees n that climate over 95 and up in Houston and 100 and up in San Antonio any day. Not that I don't want to go back to San Antonio, but Phoenix is closer than Ohio and humid climates just drain me as I get older.

Any and all info is appreciated.[8D]

JimQ

Billy, The Phoenix area is experiencing a shortage of teachers. PERIOD. Part of that is because the salaries are below the national average, but until recently, living expenses were below the national average, especially your winter heating bill. [:D] In some parts of the valley, housing costs have gone well over the average, and in other parts, they are at or below average.

If you are thinking of moving out here, spend some time with people who live here before relocating. I have had several tax clients that relocated into areas that were very undesirable because they didn't know the area, and then sold and moved locally.

Your personal life style will have a lot to do with which part of the valley you would want to live in. Anthony knows what I am talking about. Watch out for homeowner associations. I know of one case where they stopped a woodworker from using his garage due to the noise the tools made. And most of them ban outbuildings.

I've been out here for 24 years, from NJ. And the heat is never a problem because of the low humidity. (except when the A/C dies like mine did last night [:D] ) You just have to drink lots of water. I definitely agree with you about Houston, and the whole Gulf coast.

JimQ

woodwish

There is a shortage of teachers nationwide with a few exceptions. Nationally there is really a shortage of math, science, exceptional ed., and technology teachers. Florida is large state with 12 state universities and lots of private ones. They will graduate about 6000 teachers- 3000 will move out of state for more money, 1500 will go into some other line of work, and the last 1500 will teach here in Florida. We anticipate about 36,000 teachers jobs being open this year so if ANYONE wants to teach about anything we will hire you. Just finished my 30th year as a teacher and love it. Never got rich but I wouldn't have traded my career for anything!

alamocdc

Sorry, Ray, I have NO desire to move to Florida... for ANY reason, and I certainly wouldn't want to take the pay cut to go back to teaching Biology. Been there, done that, and nearly starved to death.

Thanks for the pointers, Jim. I'll keep that in mind. If this comes through, I should have enough time to find the area we want to live in before buying. We can't afford the extravegant prices of some areas (remember, she is a teacher and I've never been anywhere that they have been paid well except up here), but we don't want to live in a less than desireable neighborhood either. And I want my out building. Gotta have a shop.[:D]

dubdrvrkev

HOA's are pretty hard to avoid in the newer areas. I have never had a problem with them, but its true you generally won't be able to have an out building. I have seen in some of the semi-custom neighborhoods people have RV garages that are seperate and would make a nice shop. The areas I keep an eye out for are properties in county islands, they are generally acre+ lots.

Ray (woodwish), did you get my email?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom