another Pine Cone pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bruce119

bruce119

I made a bunch of these blanks. I use polyester resin with some gold pigment added. The pen is a Tapa Pacifica from WPP. I just like showing my stuff off.
Comments welcome

pinecone_1.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Very nice looking pen ShowOff.[:p] I bought some pine cones last year before I realized that I would need to cast them.:(

bruce119

Originally posted by laurie sullivan

great show off but I'll bet you can't do it with out the resin:D[^]

I like the pen.

It would be a little airy if you could keep it from exploding. Heck it's hard enouph to keep it together with the resin. [:0];)

JohnU

As always, your cone pens look amazing. Ive been wanting to try that idea ever since you posted the first one and just havent found the time. Very inspiring! Thank you.

angelofdeath

bruce, not sure if this is a stupid question or not...but I was curious how much of the pine cone do you cut away from the first part of it, or do you just cast the pine cone in its entirety? Thanks for your help...I have yet to cast but have the stuff to do it....just want to do it right.

Splinter

Bruce, that is a really nice looking PC pen. I have turned one without casting using CA. It was a large long leaf pince cone. I tried another small pince cone from a short needle pine and the core was not large enough for the tube.

What kind of cones are you using? It looks like they have a small core but the petals look like they are really tight to the core. Am I right?

Curly

Welcome toydoctor. I see this is your first post. To the best of my knowledge there is no law about reviving an old thread especially when it isn't a question. It's just that often the people that started and those that commented in the thread years ago may not be active anymore or the information is out of date. We hope to see some of your work, even if it isn't pen related, and suggest you introduce yourself in the Introduction section. It'll automatically enter you for a monthly prize.

bpgoldo

From the humblest of materials comes the most impressive of finished pieces. Your pen shows patience and skill and persistence. That adds up to a beautiful piece of art.

Robert Taylor

Pine Cone Pen

Wow! Very nice! I would really like to try that.

You don't show your location. If you are near Columbia, SC that is where I find the biggest Afgan/Southern Yellow pine cones that you can turn without casting as Papa Turner says. Otherwise you are kinda stuck with casting smaller ones or buying them already cast. Sorry not much help but they are really cool. If you know anyone in southern California there are even bigger pine cones from the Coulter Pines. You can barely get one pine cone in a medium flat rate box.

john1969

I made a bunch of these blanks. I use polyester resin with some gold pigment added. The pen is a Tapa Pacifica from WPP. I just like showing my stuff off.
Comments welcome

View attachment 363104

Thanks
Bruce
I hope my pine cone try out will look like this. Its still drying, after 2 weeks its still sticky. Did you use a pressure pot or vacuüm pot. I used polyester resin.
This looks great 👍🏼

Curly

John you need to warm up your blank to get the polyester resin to cure and loose the stickiness. It doesn't take much heat or for very long. We used to use an open waffle/sandwich maker, set on warm in a metal drawer for about 10 to 15 minutes. The blanks were placed on sticks to keep them off the waffle iron. A crock pot would also probably work. Don't get them too warm or for too long or they become more brittle.

Top Bottom