Another Newbie from North Carolina.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yawalac

Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2026
Messages
1
Location
Durham, North Carolina
Hi! I'm Mark, from Durham NC. Very new to turning, but I'm really enjoying it. Always on the lookout for high quality kits. I recently found McKenzie Pen Works, based right here in NC. I've taken a few classes at Woodcraft & Rockler, but would love to attend classes elsewhere. Love to hear from local turners about meetups/shows. Poured my first blanks just last week!

Mark
 
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to IAP. Good idea for the classes.
Early 70s, used to go into the Triangle area. Nothing there at the time. Radical change by the late 80s. Miss the fresh Carolina seafood.
 
Welcome Mark, I am down in Faettenam and would be happy to assist you with anything you have questions with locally. Woodturning is a wonderful and addictive hobby and trade. McKenzie, he is a good guy and just started getting kits back due to having issue with manufacturing. His kits are great, they make great pens.

I will be at the Woodcraft store in Raleigh on August 22 doing a turning demo for Easy Wood Tools if you're interested and will be there most of the day. If you have time, I would love to meet you in person and answer any questions or help however I can.
 
Greetings from NJ! I might suggest if you are interested in attending a pen makers show to consider the Mid Atlantic Turners Expo in Manassas, VA March 5-7, 2027. It's a show dedicated to pen turners run by Michael Hardin who owns Stadium Pen Blanks. You can meet a good number of the makers and suppliers who are often members of the IAP as well. Not much info on 2027 yet, but here is the link MATES 2027. It's probably about a 3-4 hour drive from Durham. They also usually offer 1 on 1 training classes with different 'Master Turners' during the session for purchase. I spent a solid half day training with Jim Heinz and it was worth every penny, despite my making pens for a good long while.

Kevin
 
Back
Top Bottom