another "my first pen" thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from iamrohn

iamrohn

Hi! I'm Rohn living in Minneapolis

I needed (yes, need) to find a new hobby that had no "technology" to it.. I don't know what corner of my mind I drug it out of, but pen turning bubbled up as an option. Took a quick class turning an ice cream scoop to answer some questions, and now there's a lathe and stuff (so much stuff) in the garage.

Wednesday I made my first pen (an Executive Twist from Rockler using stabilized buckeye burl, and CA finish). I find it perfectly therapeutically relaxing, and even a "mindfulness practice" - I think this was a good choice to erase years of stress, anxiety, and "stuff".

I really don't have any woodworking experience other than hammering wood together to be useful, and my idea of a finish had always been thick, thick coats of paint. What I'm saying is that this pen does have issues but I'm also on the way to learn how to avoid those.
pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Rohn !!! . Welcome to IAP !!

Your motivations for taking up pen-turning ring some bells with me !!

You are in the right place ... this hobby really is therapeutic !! And it produces results which you can share with your friends !

Plus, you have lots of friendly, helpful, and accomplished people here to keep you company and encourage you in your "travels" !!

Very nice looking pen !!

Hippoc07

I agree about the relaxation with pen turning and if that is the first I expect nothing less in the future. That looks lovely great job

iamrohn

Excellent piece! You are so hooked now .... hope you continue to have fun.

you know I think I am hooked... I find myself thinking, planning, and working through different pens. My "fun time" extends well beyond the moments I standing at the lathe :)

iamrohn

Welcome aboard the empty pockets express !!

Pen looks nice...and please, tell us what lathe you decided on.

haha - empty pockets? I feel like mine suddenly got massive holes!!
I brought home the Nova Comet II taking advantage of the bundle that Rockler has on sale. It's was a nice jump forward in accessories since I don't have a drill press (and probably won't afford one for quite a while now! :)

iamrohn

It can be and is relaxing until you discover how much money has been spent to get from Pen 1 to Pen 100!

Welcome!

Ha! It was a tidy sum just getting to Pen 1!!

My kid is interested in pen making now also, if I can grab some time and shared interest with him (he just turned 16) I'll consider every penny very well spent!

howsitwork

enjoy it and the time with your son will be even more special for you. My eldest made a pen as a thank you gift for one of his teachers who was going to china to teach. The teacher came back for the school end of year ball and told him he uses it regularly quite made my sons day.
Money can't buy you that quality time !

Top Bottom