Another Mass....hole!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey all
I probably should have hit this forum earlier but am pecking my way around and just came across it. Hopefully protocol isn't a strict religion here.
Anyway, I've been a cabinetmaker/installer for lotsa years and when a Woodcraft opened down the road a bit in Walpole, Ma. I found that they had a pen turning class. Perfect Father-Son evening. Instructor was beyond patient, so much so that when the (16 y.o.) boy's olivewood blew up, the instructor invited us to his home to complete the project with the little piece that was available from my boy's knife scale block.
We were hooked.
The boy has made a number of pens, most notably a batch that he did as thank-you's at his Eagle Ceremony. His designs are funkier than mine, but they're his. Alas, he has moved on to his ladyfriends.
I live for finding common but unique woods. Woods with a history. With a story. I have the very last piling from a Boston wharf developed between 1830-1850, a heavily charred fir brace from the remains of a 150 y.o. church that burned practically to the ground just North of Boston recently, as well as a block of wood believed to be, based on the iron fittings found with it, from a very, very old sailing vessel, the piece having been recovered from a Provincetown (Outer Cape Cod) beach after a hurricane glanced off of us, as well as a piece of whale's jawbone recovered off of that same beach some 40 years ago. We stopped at a house locally and recovered a huge burl off what was of a massive branch that had snapped off of a silver maple and I actually knocked on a door when I found a sycamore that had been limbed for removal with the most incredible growths. The next day a few pieces of that tree ended up in my van.
Anyway, I've seen some beautiful craftsmanship on these pages and patience and willingness to assist that seems boundless. I hope to be a worthy part of this community.

Stan
Stan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Welcome from Wisconsin. Your bio has me intrigued. Can't wait to see some of your completed projects. Be sure to post pictures and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Seven

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Medina, OH. If I read your message correctly. you have MUCH to add to the IAP community. I look forward to future pickies of projects!

Be well!

Top Bottom