Another Imitation of JTClockman's work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

I really wasn't satisfied with my first attempt to imitate JT's work shown in this thread: https://www.penturners.org/threads/imitation.161000/#post-2036020

So I tried another method without the use of an indexing plate and this is the result. I like it, but think it still pales in comparison to JT's work.

Lines1.jpg

Lines2.jpg

Thank JT for the inspiration.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Nice Steve! I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit.

Thanks Chuck, but I look at the work turners like JT, Mark James, you (I love your herringbone pen), and others do and I am often embarrassed by my lack of precision. I see the errors and slight misalignments on my work and don't like my results. Since I seldom sell any of my works it means they hang around my house taunting me to do better. But since my time in the shop is limited, I am loath to just destroy a blank which isn't perfect since it might take me another month before I get back to doing another one. The big problem with that is there are way too many pens which are on my "to imitate" list than I can get to!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sweet pen Steve. I love this and I bet it was fun to design and construct. I have a file with probably 75 pens that I admire from others. Most are beyond my skill set, but serve as great inspiration, appreciation for what others have done and continually remind me to be humble.

And this is one of those inspiring sets! (for those who have not seen these, they are superb pens by Steve J).

Attachments

• Steve J (IAP).JPG
    Steve J (IAP).JPG
    544.8 KB · Views: 198

SteveJ

Sweet pen Steve. I love this and I bet it was fun to design and construct. I have a file with probably 75 pens that I admire from others. Most are beyond my skill set, but serve as great inspiration, appreciation for what others have done and continually remind me to be humble.

And this is one of those inspiring sets! (for those who have not seen these, they are superb pens by Steve J).

Thanks Mark - those pens seem so simple compared to what I am attempting now!

jttheclockman

Steve I agree you are definitely not giving yourself enough credit. This came out great. Using a different method than what I did is what it is all about. Any pen I make or show here I wish others will come up with alternate methods so that we can expand on our knowledge base and who knows something else may come out of it.

I too have an extensive list of past turners masterpieces that were shown here that I too would like to try to replicate. My time is limited and getting more so by the days as I get older. But I will try too. Thanks for showing and for the props but I do not deserve them.

Top Bottom