Another hollow form

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

My second hollow form and my first attempt at pyrography. I found the pyrography to be really relaxing and totally absorbing. The vase is cherry and stands about 8" high.

Attachments

• 0083 - 1 Cherry.jpg
    0083 - 1 Cherry.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 0083 - 2 Cherry.jpg
    0083 - 2 Cherry.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Keith, looking good. Funny how several of us are doing about the same things at the same time.

Last month a local turning club member did a demo at our meeting about "piercing". He had several samples of his work, a few being really nice hollow vessels. In case you might have thought of it, here is a link to a paper he did on piercing.... http://www.wntx.org/program/demos2009/piercing_demo.pdf

I just completed my piercing tool using a dental drill as described in his paper and have been piercing everything in sight the past week and have dozens more of 1/16" bits on their way. Some bits are perfect for burning rather than piercing. I'm getting pretty good at writing with the drill and plan on signing the bottoms of my work with it.

My dilehma right now is trying to decide which tools to buy to turn the insides of the vessels since I have nothing right now, mind sharing what tools you use? I'm leaning towards either the Hunter Swan neck tool or the Rolly Munro Articulated Hollower but the latter is pretty pricey and looks to be for larger vessles.

Mark, You ought to load up some wood and come over some morning and we'll blow up bowls together!

VisExp

Thanks for your comments everyone :biggrin:

My dilehma right now is trying to decide which tools to buy to turn the insides of the vessels since I have nothing right now, mind sharing what tools you use?

George I got a used monster hollowing tool here on the forum. It took a while to get the hang of and I had some spectacular catches as well as went through the sides and bottoms of a couple of pieces. I decided I wanted a captured system with a laser. I was looking at the Jamieson system and liked everything about it except the sticker price. Then I got an idea from another forum and made my own system.

You can check it out here:

http://syzygypens.com/blog/2009/07/0...em-with-laser/

All I am using is the tool holder with the swivel thingy and a 3/16" square HSS cutter from the monster tool I had. The rest was free, aside from the $20 laser. It works really good. Hollowing is smooth, the position I stand in is comfortable and the laser shows me exactly where I am. I have beefed in up a bit from my original description and am using 3/8" screw in inserts, but am still using the 1/4 20 threaded bar, still might change that.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Now I'm off to check out the link you posted on piercing :biggrin:

jyreene

And now I have even more I want to do. I'm not on the pendant band wagon but I do like vases, bowls, and other vessels. Nice work as always Keith.

Top Bottom