Another find at Home Goods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grpass

Two cutting boards, Acacia and olive wood both for less then $20.00...Will make nice blanks.
DSC06730.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

Just a word of advice. Check both sides of any cutting board that you are looking to buy to ensure that the beautiful pattern is on both sides.

Timber Ripper

I picked up a beautifully figured olive wood cutting board from Marshall's a couple weeks ago that I thought would make a lot of nice pen blanks. When I got home my wife confiscated it and immediately washed it and rubbed a couple coats of Butcher block conditioner on both sides. She said it would be a sin to cut up such a beautiful piece of wood. It is now her favorite cutting board used daily.

grpass

I picked up a beautifully figured olive wood cutting board from Marshall's a couple weeks ago that I thought would make a lot of nice pen blanks. When I got home my wife confiscated it and immediately washed it and rubbed a couple coats of Butcher block conditioner on both sides. She said it would be a sin to cut up such a beautiful piece of wood. It is now her favorite cutting board used daily.
Sounds like another trip to Marshalls is in order.

howsitwork

An Observant wife is a mixed blessing ! Did you get extra brownie points for such an astute move ??

grpass

Two cutting boards, Acacia and olive wood both for less then $20.00...Will make nice blanks.View attachment 234900

The blanks from the two cutting boards. The third photo is cut up scraps from cabinet shops and wood found at yard sales. Cabinet shops have loads of hardwood scraps they usually throw away. This is all new to me, but I'm learning.
DSC06733.JPG
DSC06734.JPG
DSC06735.JPG

MDWine

One of our local cabinet/wood shops has a 'bargin bin'... anything in the bin is $1, 12 pieces for $10.
I have so many of these pieces I can't move around in my shop... BUT I HAVE LOTS OF WOOD!!!

duncsuss

I was in TJMaxx a couple of weeks ago and found this. Olive burl, nice tight eye pattern that goes all the way through, and a patch of strong curl. Can't go wrong for five dollars.

olive burl curl tjmaxx-900.jpg

henry1164

Got this cutting board for $9 shipped from the Amazon Warehouse. The retail price for this is $125. Was in warehouse because of some damage but i didn't see any. Other bargains can be found at Amazon Warehouse - URL: https://amzn.to/2wZDCRK.
Description of this item: BigWood Boards W220-LLH-X Thick Board with Large Longhorn Handle in Cast Aluminum, 15-Inch by 24-Inch by 1.25-Inch, Monogrammed"X", Walnut (not exotic but turns quite attractive grain when finished). Cut it up into a variety of pieces - straight grain, cross grain, angled grain - 3/4" square and 7/8" square. Got the equivalent of 76 blanks - $0.11 per blank. AND the metal bull heads are going to be used in another (non-pen) project for a complete recycling.

Attachments

• board.jpeg
    board.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3568.jpeg
    IMG_3568.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 239

TonyL

Great finds! This is funny. I don't like shopping (unless it is for tools). I must ask Lori, my wife, once a week if she wants to go to TJ Max, Marshall's etc.. This is from a guy (me) that would tell her to stay in the car while I run into Macys to buy 3 suits. I didn't want her to come into the store recuse I thought she would want to look around. Happy turning.

howsitwork

I am married to a lady that hates shopping ! Seriously hates it. Me I like t9 browse, have a coffee , decide and go buy it! Her idea of hell to shop with. She has yet to forget spending 3 days ( actually only 2 and a few hours one afternoon ) on honeymoon in Florida exploring your tool stores for "bargains". On return with the sons both times I was forced to promise we would NOT visit american tool stores !

I kept my word too, it took 3 separate packages arriving at the house before they wondered what was arriving and why I was so keen to tryout the complex internet cafe on a morning. Penn state, Niles stoppers, Veritas and craft supplies made my holiday.

The only exception to the above is running stores when the roles are reversed, if it fits and is comfortable that's it I'm sold and out of there...

Top Bottom