Another day, another pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hippie3180

Hippie3180

Blue Manager rollerball pen with chrome components. Still working on photos and pondering some other options for my table top. I was originally prepping it for paint, thus the filler. I'm thinking some kind of veneer or photo backdrop to lay down on top of the table.

For now it's a bit rustic.

IMG_1504.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1510.jpeg
    IMG_1510.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Beautiful pen, awesome finish. As for backgrounds, my preference is something simple, that doesn't distract from the pen. The table in the photos has a lot of lines, and is sort of busy. I've been using a plain light grey background for a while, and it seems to be compatible with colors in most pens. Try different things, see what resonates with you.

derekdd

Beautiful blank.

The pen looks great. Haven't turned a manager rollerball yet. I think I prefer the threaded cap over the magnetic options.

bugradx2

That's downright gorgeous. Mind sharing where the blank came from?

My profile photo notwithstanding (it was handy in the shop) I've gone to using a black tablecloth to do photos. You can rumple it a little bit and give the background a little something without taking away from the project. It doesn't reflect light while you're taking photos either. For dark stuff I've tried a while towel or sheet occasionally too.

Hippie3180

That's downright gorgeous. Mind sharing where the blank came from?

My profile photo notwithstanding (it was handy in the shop) I've gone to using a black tablecloth to do photos. You can rumple it a little bit and give the background a little something without taking away from the project. It doesn't reflect light while you're taking photos either. For dark stuff I've tried a while towel or sheet occasionally too.
Thank you so much!

Sure, I got this blank at Craft Supplies USA. Right now they are on sale for $2.77 each and they have $5 shipping. I'm not sure what the cut off for the $5 shipping is, but I just ordered about $40 worth of stuff (mostly blanks) and got the $5 shipping. They ship quickly too. These are some of my favorite blanks, they turn well also. I'm sad they are closing them out, I like most of the colors offered and these are well made blanks.

bugradx2

Thank you so much!

Sure, I got this blank at Craft Supplies USA. Right now they are on sale for $2.77 each and they have $5 shipping. I'm not sure what the cut off for the $5 shipping is, but I just ordered about $40 worth of stuff (mostly blanks) and got the $5 shipping. They ship quickly too. These are some of my favorite blanks, they turn well also. I'm sad they are closing them out, I like most of the colors offered and these are well made blanks.

Thanks for sharing the info, I appreciate it. I've ordered stuff from Craft Supplies too, I've gotten in the habit of pretty much ordering everything from Exotic Blanks because they're only about 90 minutes from me and I got to meet Ed & Dawn this spring at the MPG. Great folks

White can give off glare. A neutral tan is what I use.
I use blue a lot, my mind can always understand blue (check out my photo, other than the black belt and boots it's all blue). The problem with tan is that when you put it together with a wood blank that is "tan/brown" in color, my mind blends the colors. This causes my eyes to see just one color which, in most cases, blends the wood colors together and all I see is the cap, clip, center band and nib of the pen displayed. Living life with basically two colors is a pain, blue or brown. My wardrobe is basically two colors, blue and brown. My wife helps me when we go out, if it doesn't look right she will tell me. As for using white, I've asked a couple friends here on this site and all have said to use white...so I'm going to change my photo box to a white background. I do appreciate your input though and hopefully you understand where I'm coming from.

Hippie3180

I use blue a lot, my mind can always understand blue (check out my photo, other than the black belt and boots it's all blue). The problem with tan is that when you put it together with a wood blank that is "tan/brown" in color, my mind blends the colors. This causes my eyes to see just one color which, in most cases, blends the wood colors together and all I see is the cap, clip, center band and nib of the pen displayed. Living life with basically two colors is a pain, blue or brown. My wardrobe is basically two colors, blue and brown. My wife helps me when we go out, if it doesn't look right she will tell me. As for using white, I've asked a couple friends here on this site and all have said to use white...so I'm going to change my photo box to a white background. I do appreciate your input though and hopefully you understand where I'm coming from.
White is an acceptable background and many products are taken against white background. The only thing with white is you must be very careful about white balance, white can look gray and dingy if not done properly. It's easier to get good exposure with a phone, a phone has easy intuitive editing tools that allow you to adjust for off lighting etc.

I say if you want to use white background you absolutely should, just watch the white balance and exposure.

Top Bottom