Another casting???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Has anyone taken an acrylic pen blank and cast to it??? I am talking about using a pen blank bought from one of the vendors such as Bear tooth woods. If so will the resin stick to it without problems??? Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Has anyone taken an acrylic pen blank and cast to it??? I am talking about using a pen blank bought from one of the vendors such as Bear tooth woods. If so will the resin stick to it without problems??? Thanks in advance.

I've filled carved areas on "acrylic" pen blanks (PSI Sourced) (0.005" to 0.015" depth) with PR. No delamination as the blank was turned / polished. I would say the bond is pretty strong. Not sure how strong though.

I posted some examples earlier this year (I think???).

Ed

its_virgil

But this was done with casting the same kind of resin over and over.
I think I saw someone carve the blank, cast it, carve it, cast it in another color, ect. It was cool!

John: If you know the purchased blanks is polyester resin then casting more polyresin over it should be do good. I would even think using polyresin to over cast a purchased blank would work well enough. But, I can't say for sure having not done poly resin over a non poly resin blank. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've done it many times with a wide variety of commercial and homemade blanks. I've filled with PR, epoxy, and polymer clay and never had a problem with any material not sticking. Should not be a problem.

Top Bottom