Another Boring Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cmiles1985

Cmiles1985

Maybe. I haven't posted any pens in quite a while, but I figured I'd share this one. It's far from perfect, but did teach me a few lessons. I'll definitely be trying this style of "slimline" again. I'll also include a clip on my future models. This pen is a slimline only due to tubes, transmission and refill. All other "components" have been omitted.

C&C Welcomed and Appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I like the design concept of this closed-end slimline with the top rotating over top of the bottom barrel. Trying to figure out the hidden features so that I can make one myself ! Also wondering what clip you might use and where/how you would fit it. Thanks for posting.

Cmiles1985

There really isn't anything hidden to it. Turn the bottom barrel first, and leave the material the towards the upper end of the brass. Drill the top barrel longer than the tube (tube plus overhang) at 7mm, then drill overhangso that it's almost snug over material on lower barrel. This was one of the cheap WC kits that has the longer lower tube. The only real tricky part is getting the hole in the tip centered to the rest of the holes. The bit (I think it was #24) was way too short to go through the already drilled body. So, you have to drill from the other side, hence why the tip is off center in the nib end. As for the clip, a normal slimline clip would work great, but not the ugly flat ones. I can't remember which slimlines (maybe the "fancy") has the shapely clip with the ball end, but that would compliment the shape.

KenV

Looks like the start of a crack at the nib end in one of the photos. We do ask a lot of some of the materials - especially when thin, and likely some stress concentrations at the end of the tube.

Great piece of creative effort to move forward with something new and different.

If doing those on a regular basis, a shaft that fits down the tube with a drill bit at the end would assure better tip centering - but such jigs are better for making several and usually long after the initial prototype.

Good effect and pushing the limits!!!

Cmiles1985

Does the refill tip wiggle around much?

There's a tiny amount of play. The hole is about .003" larger than the refill. I haven't written much with it yet, but I will be in the next hour. One major issue that I created is:
I started with the WC 30 kit/blank bundle tubes. I didn't like the transmission, so I used a regular transmission. The rotating portion is partially inside the lower tube, so operating the transmission is rather tough.

Top Bottom