Another Blue but with Rhodium Accents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. This afternoon I tried another Birdseye Maple blank dyed with Royal Blue food dye, but this time I used bits from two different Cigar kits. One was Blue Titanium and the other Rhodium. The Rhodium bits do break it up a little but I still think perhaps I should have just used all Rhodium. Another time perhaps.

Regards,
Dave

PS I've also been considering doing one of these with Christmas Red dye. Maybe for the other kit that is mostly Rhodium but with Blue Titanium Accents.

One Pen - Three different views:
IMG_1322 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1323 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1324 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Better, but I still think no blue in the kit components would be best. I'm envisioning a two tone kit.

jttheclockman

My opinion is all blue is the better way to go This looks out of place. Not a fan. Again if you want to try do not dye the blank and finish it as natural as possible. I am working on one now and it is going to look great. For some reason a light brown goes well with that blue. The blues are competing. I will show an example.

The one with the white casein material stands out better . I tried dying the braiding a blue and it does not do it for me. But needed to try.

Copy of IMGP0441.JPG
Copy of IMGP0442.JPG
Copy of Copy of IMGP0438.JPG

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like the pen just the way it is! Very visually appealing. However, for a future change-up, I like the all blue as displayed by JT.

Very nice; thanks for sharing.

Lucky2

Dave, why bother messing around with food dye, you can color any wooden blank with magic type markers. Well the water based ones from the dollar store work fine. Turn the blank and get it ready to finish, then pick the color and color the blank as it turns on the lathe. You can get any tone of color you want, to get let's say a dark red, just go back and forth across the blank as it turns. The only issue with doing this, is to allow the coloring to dry. It doesn't take long to dry, I usually wait for about an half hour.

Len

Top Bottom