Angle drill recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
In addition to pens I do a considerable amount of other turning. I've settled in on power sanding my bowls and I really like the results I'm getting. However, the angle drill I've been using doesn't seem the best. I'm working on the second of this manufacturer and this one is getting hot and beginning to make noise like the first one. Anyone have recommendations on a good (durable) one? Corded is fine. Probably a 3/8" chuck (they seem most common).
Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I have had Milwaukee and older versions of Sears Craftsman, When the last Milwaukee died, I was not going to pay to get it fixed. I was driving by the local Harbor Freight, I stopped and they were on sale, this was several years ago. I bought 5 for the price of a new Milwaukee, the life span of those 5 were better than the life span of the Milwaukee. I believe lately that Harbor Freight has been "upgrading" the quality of some of their power tools, the prices also reflect this. But the cheap one was $10 years ago, now is $20, but also marked as a clearance item. I hit 4 store on the way to New Mexico, I did find plenty of the new store brand, but they were $50.

The switches go bad on the good ones almost as fast as the cheap ones. I bought a household switch, wired it in on the last HF right angle drill and the on and off switch was turn on and taped over. I did the same thing to my lathe, that switch has been 9on for over 7 years. I have had to replace the household light switches once.

montmill

Drills aren't made for sanding so eventually the dust will get in and do them in. I try and blow mine out frequently and they do last a few years longer that way. The Harbor Freight price can't be beat but they're heavy and not well balanced for me. I got this one https://vinceswoodnwonders.com/product-category/angle-drills/ and I do like the wt. and balance of it much better. I also use one of these: https://www.thesandingglove.com/The-Sanding-Solution.asp I like it especially for the outside of bowls and vases. The random orbital sanders are nice and if you have sufficient air pressure the air tools as Rich suggested are great.

howsitwork

I went for Makita corded and have no regrets thus far.

I do also Vacuum it out after or during a session this also reduces it blowing the fine dust all over a bit ( well I think it does 🤷‍♂️).

Have a dewalt 12v battery one as well for when i need it

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
++
I have this and really like it.

King Arthur's Guinevere Total Sanding System

I have this and really like it.

King Arthur's Guinevere Total Sanding System

Plus one for this system.
I bought this, for one of my missus fads that she had, by the time it arrive she had stop, so her B/Day pressies is mine now.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Hitachi should all be good.

I bought a Hitachi 9.6V for the equivalent of about $300 when I was living in Japan about 14 years ago and it is still going strong. I am not sure it is still even offered. Hitachi bought out Metabo a couple of years ago and sells most of its tools under the Metabo name.

RichAldrich

I have the Harbor air drill, the Grex and Craft supplies.

Harbor freight sells an air hose fitting that attaches to the drill. The fitting has a wheel on it which increases or decreases air flow to the drill. Can dial in to the perfect speed for sanding.

Looked on there site to try to find it. Could not find and do not know what it is called.

3-5 dollars.

Curly

We used to call the little wheel fitting a throttle. There are also a double knuckle fitting, sometimes with the throttle that keeps the hose from interfering with movements of the air tool. A special whip hose works too as it is thin and lightweight, usually 4' to 6' long.

Top Bottom