Angel Egg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
A nice Sunday morning project, carved an Angel into an egg. I am considering carving something on the back, like a bird. Trying to decide if I should do some airbrushing on it like a gold metal flake fade around the angel to create an aura effect, or perhaps airbrush gold metal flake on the inside.

Attachments

• Angel Egg 01.jpg
    Angel Egg 01.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 323
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Added a Dove carrying an Olive Branch to the back

Attachments

• Dove Olive 01.jpg
    Dove Olive 01.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 176

randyrls

Eric; Gorgeous!!!!

I too would like to know how you laid out the design?

Ultra high speed carvers are used to do such pierced art and one is on my someday list....

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice Eric!!! But I really think that you should try moving up to the Emu and Ostrich! :cool:

When I decided to dabble with egg carving, I bought 16 goose eggs. One did not survive shipping and I have around 10 left. I think I'll stick to goose eggs for now, I can get the large 3 3/4" tall eggs for $1.50 each, Ostrich are like $15 each. Maybe once I get a bit more comfortable with the goose eggs, I'll work my up to Rhea, Emu and Ostrich. Goose eggs are actually pretty nice to work with, they are pretty big and much stronger than chicken eggs.

I'll probably make a bunch of carved eggs for Christmas

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Eric; Gorgeous!!!!

Ultra high speed carvers are used to do such pierced art and one is on my someday list....

The method of layout was developed by Gary LeMaster and published in "The Eggshell Sculptor." While it is one of those "wow, how simple" ideas, I've never seen anything similar described either for egg carving or for piercing on turned pieces. Out of respect for his copyright, I don't wish to re-publish his method without his approval. Gary sells the instructions for $6.

randyrls

The method of layout was developed by Gary LeMaster and published in "The Eggshell Sculptor." While it is one of those "wow, how simple" ideas, I've never seen anything similar described either for egg carving or for piercing on turned pieces. Out of respect for his copyright, I don't wish to re-publish his method without his approval. Gary sells the instructions for $6.

I took a look at his web site. Exquisite!!!!!!

rjwolfe3

Eric; Gorgeous!!!!

PM sent

Jgrden

A nice Sunday morning project, carved an Angel into an egg. I am considering carving something on the back, like a bird. Trying to decide if I should do some airbrushing on it like a gold metal flake fade around the angel to create an aura effect, or perhaps airbrush gold metal flake on the inside.
How in the heck did you do that?????? I guess there are others who asked the same question so I will read the rest of the comments.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
How in the heck did you do that?????? I guess there are others who asked the same question so I will read the rest of the comments.

Dawn linked one of my earlier posts on carved eggs where I talked a bit about it. Hopefully that gives you enough information to decide if it is something you would ever want to try.

It's the sort of thing that's not hard to get decent results with, but like many things, quite hard to get amazing results at. I think most folks who really wanted to could get results on par with mine, but very few of us will ever get results on par with Binh Pho, Joey Richardson or Gary LeMaster.

Folks at work tend to remark they lack the patience to do stuff like this, and don't seem to understand that doing something creative that you enjoy requires no patience. When I'm at home, it take patience to do other stuff like mow the lawn and cleaning the house when I'd rather be turning something on the lathe or carving something like an egg.

Top Bottom