and one for my wife ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
There's no way I could get by with making 4 mini birdhouses for our granddaughter if I didn't make at least one for my wife, so I made this one for her out of her favorite wood.

The body & cap were cut from the same 1.5" square block of BOW, so they mated up perfectly. The perch is also BOW from one of my pen cutoffs. I thought about putting a finial on this one, but the grain pattern on the bottom was so nice I decided not to obscure it with a finial.

This one is a little smaller than the others. The body is about 2-1/8" long and the cap is about 1-3/4" long.

The cardinal is my wife's favorite bird. It was her high school mascot and we have a lot of them on our farm.

Attachments

• OliveWood1.jpg
    OliveWood1.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 176
  • OliveWood2.jpg
    OliveWood2.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 160
  • OliveWood3.jpg
    OliveWood3.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
BOW is a beautiful wood! The grain patterns are awesome - as are yours! It is nice that it stood up to turning the perch also!

Nice job keeping "Folks happy"!!!

Thanks for the dimensions - adds a nice comparison! Still like the micro birdies!!!

Oh... Demo is done, package wrapped... Housie on the way!:tongue::tongue:

Last edited:

Old Codger

Awesome little birdhouse for you bride! But I give up...what is 'BOW'? Looks like Zebra wood, but something else also, but for the life of me, I can't think what 'BOW' might stand for... Anywho, I'm sure you bride loves your lovely gift and will cherish it! Safe turning to you and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Awesome little birdhouse for you bride! But I give up...what is 'BOW'? Looks like Zebra wood, but something else also, but for the life of me, I can't think what 'BOW' might stand for... Anywho, I'm sure you bride loves your lovely gift and will cherish it! Safe turning to you and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Thanks Kenn - sorry about the acronym. A lot of acronyms & abbreviations get used in posts here at IAP and I sometimes forget that not everyone has them committed to memory. It took me a long time to figure some of them out until I found this handy reference list:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f19/glossary-acronyms-short-names-35262/

Like Bob said, it's Bethlehem Olive Wood. I try to spell out the full term the first time I use it in a thread but I don't always remember.

My wife hasn't actually seen it yet - she will get it on Christmas day, but I'm sure she will really like it. We have several BOW carvings that I brought back from Israel and she enjoys using & displaying things made from olive wood.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That's an amazing ornament, Ed - I hope to make one that nice one day! (It hasn't happened yet)...

I love olive wood - it's by far my favourite wood!

Amazing!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - beautiful wood can make an amateur look like he knows what he's doing. This was one gorgeous block of wood for sure & it wasn't even described as anything other than the seller's standard stock. I'm not sure how you would grade it, but it's one of the nicest pieces I've ever seen.

Top Bottom