An Unusual Casing Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rherrell

rherrell

I was putting a Perfect Fit pencil together and thought, I wonder? It was one of those "can I do it?" moments.
It's a Schmidt pencil mechanism installed in a Delrin nib assembly that screws into a 25.06 casing.
attachment.jpg

I enlarged the case mouth so the bullet slides freely and allows you to "click" it with your thumb.
attachment.jpg

The Delrin is one piece and is threaded on the inside for the pencil mechanism to screw in to. The bullet is drilled about half way with a #34 bit and the little cap piece is a tight pressure fit.
attachment.jpg

The casing is threaded with a 5/16"-24tpi tap to accept the nib assembly. The inside of the nib assembly is threaded with an M6X0.75 tap to accept the threads on the pencil mechanism. It's an oddball tap so keep that in mind if you want to make one. MSC has them for about $6.
This last photo is the drawing I made. I always make little drawings when I build things, it helps to keep my mind straight!:wink:
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• 8001.jpg
    8001.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 304
  • 8002.jpg
    8002.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 307
  • 8003.jpg
    8003.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 308
  • 8004.jpg
    8004.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 306
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Ok..Rick. I was just thinking about how I hadn't seen you around in awhile. That pen is very ugly, that's my honest personal opinion. The concept as far as assembly though, is quite ingenious! I can see a ton of potential with that concept.

cnirenberg

Rick,
That is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing the finished product next to the written inspiration for them. My chicken scratch is too much for my rational brain, and I end up using the computer. Great job.

rherrell

Ok..Rick. I was just thinking about how I hadn't seen you around in awhile. That pen is very ugly, that's my honest personal opinion. The concept as far as assembly though, is quite ingenious! I can see a ton of potential with that concept.

I'll go you one better Jeff, I think it's "butt ugly"!:wink:
It was just one of those things that I had to try, just to see if it could be done.
I really like the way you "click" the bullet but the nib needs work. I always use Delrin for prototypes because it's easy to work but it's not always pretty. Maybe some copper colored PR and a different shape would work.
How about cutting another casing down and putting it back to back with a bullet nib? We'll see.:confused:

Top Bottom