Jeer An unfortunate Jeer for PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wrjones224

Penn State is happy to sell you products but when it comes to taking care of their customers they are more than happy to run and hide when they have the ability to fix a situation.

I am here to vent about the lack of customer service from Penn State. I have been a customer of theirs for many years and always have preferred to buy their products from other sources such as Exotic Blanks. But nonetheless I have still ordered from them over 20 times and spent lots of $$$.

Placed an order on August 23rd for 4 different kits all in stock on their website. When I received the package one of kits (6 sets of Majestic Full size) were missing and on back order. That is fine, it happens and I understand things happen. Two weeks go by and I still did not have them so I called customer service at the beginning of September and they said they would be receiving them in a two weeks. Okay perfect.

Well haven't heard anything since then and then called back today, (A month later) on October 17th and they are still out of stock and now they won't receive them until the end of November. Its crazy that they can have something listed as in stock on their website in August and then not be able to deliver it until end of November.

The worst part however is they have the kits in starter packages listed on their website and they are refusing to separate them because it messes with their inventory. Pretty disgraceful when you have a way to solve a problem that they caused and are refusing to do so because it inconveniences them. I sell pens for a living and when I have things in stock on my website it means they are in stock. And if I did cause a problem for a customer I would bend over backwards to make it right.

Am I being too harsh or is this poor customer service?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muddydogs

Nope, they should be opening the starter packages to fill your order due to not having there web site up to date. I'm sure they put the starter packages together so they can tear them apart

No, you are being too easy on them. I have not ordered nearly as much as you have from PSI, I am not a fan, and have had zero support from them correcting problems. I would have not been nearly as nice and would have left scathing reviews.

You are completely justified in your frustration. Frankly they should refund your money so you can get the kits you need elsewhere.

jttheclockman

I hear your complaint but something I like to do is play Devil's Advocate. So here goes. If they did tear apart the starter kits than that means they now have no starter kits to sell. OK so you are satisfied and now the starter kit fan is sucking wind. if you were so dissatisfied with the wait then why did you not cancel the order and ask for refund. They have to give it to you. Then go order from somewhere else. Now if somewhere else does not have them then there is a product availability issue and being they are coming from China you can see how that can be. I checked Exotics and they too are out of stock. These days of getting inventory is not the same as it has been. If you use kits alot it is suggested to do what it takes to keep your inventory stocked. Sorry can not go along with this Jeer. Good luck though. To address the showing in stock on line. right now they are showing out of stock. Now it is possible they were some in stock when you ordered but a order ahead of you took the remaining stock and they just did not getting to correct the sight. Not sure how that all works. Could be a timing issue.

Last edited:

wrjones224

I hear your complaint but something I like to do is play Devil's Advocate. So here goes. If they did tear apart the starter kits than that means they now have no starter kits to sell. OK so you are satisfied and now the starter kit fan is sucking wind. if you were so dissatisfied with the wait then why did you not cancel the order and ask for refund. They have to give it to you. Then go order from somewhere else. Now if somewhere else does not have them then there is a product availability issue and being they are coming from China you can see how that can be. I checked Exotics and they too are out of stock. These days of getting inventory is not the same as it has been. If you use kits alot it is suggested to do what it takes to keep your inventory stocked. Sorry can not go along with this Jeer. Good luck though. To address the showing in stock on line. right now they are showing out of stock. Now it is possible they were some in stock when you ordered but a order ahead of you took the remaining stock and they just did not getting to correct the sight. Not sure how that all works. Could be a timing issue.
I get what you are saying but in my opinion and situation it's a little off. Correct me if I am wrong but the whole point of the starter kits is to incentivize people to try the kit out and then lead to purchase majestic kits in the future? The kits which they don't have in stock. So when they aren't willing to break them up it tells me they are prioritizing future sales rather than helping a current customer. Not to mention the starter kits are limited to one per customer.

They did have them in stock on their website when I purchased them back in August. I did not know about them being on back order until I received the package of other kits. I waited a few weeks and then called them asking for an update. This was in the middle of September. They said it would be a few weeks and they'd arrive at the beginning of October. Well that came and went and I called back today to hear they won't be in until late November. If I had known this I would have cancelled the order in August and took my business elsewhere.

My biggest issue is they have not once contacted me and told me when I can expect the kits. Also, they have the ability to fix it and they are prioritizing future customers rather than a current customer.

At the end of the day just sharing my situation. It's not the end of the world. I Will now make a conscious effort to avoid purchasing their products.

jttheclockman

Again do not agree with you. My brother is trying to get his house sided and he has run into a road black because the siding he wants on the house needs a certification and a MDS sheet. The company that is selling the siding Provia has not got the testing done and has still shipped to vendors. My brother's town inspectors want those paper and the company has been promising my brother now for over a month they will have tests done on certain dates and they have come and gone several times. The problem is a third party testing organization and it comes down to when it is available will be the time the inspectors sign off. Now this is just another example I use to make my point. It can be and probably is out of the hands of PSI. They probably have few starter kits as opposed to main kits and maybe not even enough to satisfy your order. Third party place a role with ordering inventory all the time and the vendors are at their mercy. Talk to Ed he can tell you when and what is happening. he sells PSI kits. I would not break them up either if it were me. That is their policy then abide by it and take your business elsewhere if you do not like it and again ask for your money back. Lesson learned. I see so many times PSI gets these jeers and maybe their service department needs more people working in it and they need better customer relations but something like this I believe is out of their hands. Just my opinion. Means absolutely nothing.

Penn State is happy to sell you products but when it comes to taking care of their customers they are more than happy to run and hide when they have the ability to fix a situation.

I am here to vent about the lack of customer service from Penn State. I have been a customer of theirs for many years and always have preferred to buy their products from other sources such as Exotic Blanks. But nonetheless I have still ordered from them over 20 times and spent lots of $$$.

Placed an order on August 23rd for 4 different kits all in stock on their website. When I received the package one of kits (6 sets of Majestic Full size) were missing and on back order. That is fine, it happens and I understand things happen. Two weeks go by and I still did not have them so I called customer service at the beginning of September and they said they would be receiving them in a two weeks. Okay perfect.

Well haven't heard anything since then and then called back today, (A month later) on October 17th and they are still out of stock and now they won't receive them until the end of November. Its crazy that they can have something listed as in stock on their website in August and then not be able to deliver it until end of November.

The worst part however is they have the kits in starter packages listed on their website and they are refusing to separate them because it messes with their inventory. Pretty disgraceful when you have a way to solve a problem that they caused and are refusing to do so because it inconveniences them. I sell pens for a living and when I have things in stock on my website it means they are in stock. And if I did cause a problem for a customer I would bend over backwards to make it right.

Am I being too harsh or is this poor customer service?
If they, PSI, has starter kits I always buy them first. First off they're cheaper than individual kits, when you factor included bushings and your market reach is greater. Never had any issues with PSI but I've had a lot of issues with others, Exotic blanks being of of them. I quit EB basically for what you're saying here. Don't point to one supplier, like PSI, when some of us have issues with other vendors like EB. I quit buying from Ruth Niles after she sold. Found a better vendor who helps me out. Just my opinion.

jrista

So, I think you are being to harsh. I am not exactly a fan of PSI, as I've had numerous bad experiences with them (their customer support seems to largely be non-existent, basically), although I am a fan of many of their unique kits and equipment, and enjoy the inspirations I get from their catalogs. I wish they would pay more attention to their customers support needs, and not leave so many tickets entirely unanswered...in the end, my response to that has been to only order from them if they are literally the only place I can get some particular thing (kit, blank, tool) that I just cannot get anywhere else.

When it comes to what you are expecting...that they will tear apart a product, just to satisfy you, you are being unreasonable. I have to side with PSI here. I think they are being entirely reasonable, especially given the scale of their sales, by saying no they won't break open the bundles. When it comes to the majestic, which I've purchased a couple of...I am not even sure its a PSI-made kit. It comes packaged a bit differently than other bundles I've purchased from PSI, and I think it may be manufactured by someone else. So that would make it even more unreasonable, if this were the case, to demand they break such a bundle open for you.

As someone who has been going through inventory management myself for my own store and products, its lot of work!! To manage not only an inventory of materials and supplies, but also an inventory of products (i.e. things created out of those supplies), manage quantities in stock, in carts, sold waiting to be shipped, shipped, etc. You are being entirely unreasonable to expect them to break open a PRODUCT they created from some of their supplies, and totally throw off their inventory management. They would then have to deal with the consequences of that, which is more time and cost for them.

There can be unexpected and unfortunate consequences as well. What happens when people have the bundled kit you want them to tear apart in carts pending purchase? So they tear open one of those bundled kits for you, then when someone else orders that bundle, they then cannot get what THEY ordered.... So to satisfy one customer, they may have to dissatisfy another. It's a bit of a lose-lose situation for PSI.

Again, I've had more than my fair share of issues with them, and not one response from their support crew for my issues. That's where I have problems. Backordered products happen. As a software engineer and architect, its tough to manage the potentials of say many people having the same items in their cart, possibly more people than you have stock for. If all of them end up purchasing, then you are instantly in a back-ordered situation, but no one is going to know that until someone goes to pull the items and finds that there is no inventory left. There are few good solutions to this kind of problem in the software development world (i.e. building out online web storefronts for companies like PSI.) Its a conundrum that can happen. Statistically speaking, more often than not, NOT everyone who has a particular item in their cart WILL purchase, many carts get left, go stale, and eventually abandoned. So from the software design standpoint, you have to play the odds a bit...invest an immense amount of time and money trying to avoid situations where you end up selling more stock than you have (practically impossible and extremely expensive to even try and find a solution to said problem), or allow the rarer scenario to happen, and deal with it on the occasions it occurs (vastly less expensive!)

In this case, PSI is doing what they can to deal with an unfortunate scenario. Shipping delays happen, so a delay in a backordered item (especially if any of it is coming from China) is bound to happen sooner or later. You may just have been the "last guy in queue" and ended up stuck with the backordered items when everyone purchased their carts. It happens, not much you can do about it, but demanding that PSI do something out of the norm and special just for you, to the detriment of themselves, and potentially other customers? No, that's not reasonable...

Sorry for the hard take, but as someone who's built such software systems many times in my career, its honestly my opinion on the subject.

Jans husband

As someone across the pond reading this post I am surprised about the comments re Exotic Blanks.
As far as I can see they respond on the IAP site with an explanation if members voice concerns, and I expect that Ed will pop up very soon to comment on this post.
Just an outside observation
Mike

KenB259

As someone across the pond reading this post I am surprised about the comments re Exotic Blanks.
As far as I can see they respond on the IAP site with an explanation if members voice concerns, and I expect that Ed will pop up very soon to comment on this post.
Just an outside observation
Mike
Ed owns Exotic Blanks, discussion here is about Penn State Industries. Ed does sell some of their inventory though.

Mike@CSUSA

That's bad customer service. In reality they could resolve the situation by breaking up 6 starter kits and get them sent to you, and simply adjust the other individual components back into stock. We do this all the time for customers who need a single part out of a kit or other "Assembly" kits we sell.

jttheclockman

Lets set the record straight here because the OP does not say what platings of the full size kit he is looking for. PSI offers one set in the trial package. and here is the link. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMAJFREE.html . Exotic blanks has these kits. So again bad practice I disagree. Now their photo advertising is misleading and that is bad practice.

By the way they are showing that those plating kits are indeed in stock. At PSI. Something is not right here. We need all the facts. We do not know even if they are rollerball or fountain pen kits he is asking for.

Last edited:

wrjones224

Lets set the record straight here because the OP does not say what platings of the full size kit he is looking for. PSI offers one set in the trial package. and here is the link. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMAJFREE.html . Exotic blanks has these kits. So again bad practice I disagree. Now their photo advertising is misleading and that is bad practice.

By the way they are showing that those plating kits are indeed in stock. At PSI. Something is not right here. We need all the facts. We do not know even if they are rollerball or fountain pen kits he is asking for.
I wanted the exact kits that you link in your post, rollerball. I know for a fact were not in stock on their website yesterday and I was told will not be back until the end of November.

I requested a refund yesterday so it must have caused their inventory to put 6 kits back in stock...the next person to order them will be in for rude awakening as their website clearly says "in stock ready to ship" https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMAJTP.html

This whole problem could be resolved if they just simply split up 6 starter kits. Not that hard. My whole point of view is I own a business and if a customer had a problem I would most certainly go out of my way to fix it if I had the ability to do so. Especially for someone who spends thousands of dollars a year with my company.

As far as the conversation of Exotic Blanks, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I order from them the majority of the time and will continue to do so.

jttheclockman

I wanted the exact kits that you link in your post, rollerball. I know for a fact were not in stock on their website yesterday and I was told will not be back until the end of November.

I requested a refund yesterday so it must have caused their inventory to put 6 kits back in stock...the next person to order them will be in for rude awakening as their website clearly says "in stock ready to ship" https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMAJTP.html

This whole problem could be resolved if they just simply split up 6 starter kits. Not that hard. My whole point of view is I own a business and if a customer had a problem I would most certainly go out of my way to fix it if I had the ability to do so. Especially for someone who spends thousands of dollars a year with my company.

As far as the conversation of Exotic Blanks, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I order from them the majority of the time and will continue to do so.
Doesn't make sense. If they had 6 kits to send they would. if they do not have any why would they say they do. ?? They should say that with the other platings too then. maybe they only had 1 or 2. Who knows. As for when and the timeline I have no idea. I will tell you this when you placed that order they had no idea how much you spent with them. hey you have every right to voice your displeasure and hope you get what you want. Good luck.

mmayo

If they, PSI, has starter kits I always buy them first. First off they're cheaper than individual kits, when you factor included bushings and your market reach is greater. Never had any issues with PSI but I've had a lot of issues with others, Exotic blanks being of of them. I quit EB basically for what you're saying here. Don't point to one supplier, like PSI, when some of us have issues with other vendors like EB. I quit buying from Ruth Niles after she sold. Found a better vendor who helps me out. Just my opinion.
I heartily disagree! Ed at Exotic Blanks has given me superb service. I am always happy with his products, speed of delivery and outstanding customer service. He has called ME several times to help me.

PSI has been consistently bad at customer service until within the last year an intelligent young- sounding woman handled phone calls. I hear she is gone - our loss.

I still buy from Ruth Niles. I miss her but the products are still great.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I never argue about our service, no one wins.

I can merely say we were founded on IAP in December 2008, which means in a couple months we will be 15 years old!!

Some people think I have NOT done enough for them, they are entitled to feel that way. Fortunately, thousands of others realize we will do everything we can to accommodate and educate. Thank-you to the many who voice their positive opinions about us--we work seven days a week, 52 weeks a year--surprisingly, sometimes we get tired too. Positive comments add to our motivation, thank-you!!

magpens

Thank you, Ed ! !

No holidays ? ? Maybe that's why you get tired ! ! I was actually wondering very recently if you ever get tired ! !

Well . . . don't get tired-OUT ! !

We're well aware that you . . .
"do EVERYTHING YOU CAN to accommodate and educate " EVERY ONE OF US IN SO MANY WAYS.

Your quality service, products and proficiency are MUCH APPRECIATED ! ! ! ! ! . . And . . . YOU'RE ALWAYS THERE ! ! ! . . . or HERE ! ! ! ! !

Even your presence on PENTURNERS is a constant source of inspiration and assistance . . . I look forward to every post you write ! ! !

MANY, MANY THANKS, Dawn and Ed ! ! ! ~ ! ! !

Last edited:
I get what you are saying but in my opinion and situation it's a little off. Correct me if I am wrong but the whole point of the starter kits is to incentivize people to try the kit out and then lead to purchase majestic kits in the future? The kits which they don't have in stock. So when they aren't willing to break them up it tells me they are prioritizing future sales rather than helping a current customer. Not to mention the starter kits are limited to one per customer.

They did have them in stock on their website when I purchased them back in August. I did not know about them being on back order until I received the package of other kits. I waited a few weeks and then called them asking for an update. This was in the middle of September. They said it would be a few weeks and they'd arrive at the beginning of October. Well that came and went and I called back today to hear they won't be in until late November. If I had known this I would have cancelled the order in August and took my business elsewhere.

My biggest issue is they have not once contacted me and told me when I can expect the kits. Also, they have the ability to fix it and they are prioritizing future customers rather than a current customer.

At the end of the day just sharing my situation. It's not the end of the world. I Will now make a conscious effort to avoid purchasing their products.

I have to fully agree with you on this. Their inventory system is clearly flawed in a such a way that it is just going to create more unhappy customers. You getting a refund for an item out of stock and improperly sold makes sense, PSI putting that back into their inventory doesn't make sense.

I completely get inventory woes, their stuff is ordered from China and Taiwan so shipping can be difficult and order quanities can stand challenges. That doesn't excuse errors on your own website that does thousands of sales a day/week to its customers. A company this big has no excuse for overselling like this considering how much volume they do.

dogcatcher

By the time PSI pats a person to breakdown the starter kit and then redo the website inventory. The profit on that kit is a negative figure.

How far does a company have to go to please everyone? Losing money is not good business practice.
Losing one customer or Losing money?

Inventory is a two way street. If the supplier is having issues that they have no control over, then the buyer should expect the same problems.

Back when i was actively selling I tried to keep an enough inventory on hand to cover at least a 6 month projected number of sales. Those figures were computed on the previous years sales.

When the supply issues started popping up, I stocked up. For awhile I might get stuck with some inventory. But I bought it cheaper than today's prices. So I am still ahead of the redline.

TonyL

The OP shared his experience and opinion with the group. Who is anybody to tell him that his experience is wrong or off-base? It appears that some people are more interested in positing their opinions by proving an OP wrong. We are all adults (chronologically anyway). Instead, how about, "Thanks for informing me of your experience, while mine has been different with X vendor, I hope you get yours resolved." Is there any part or kit that you need right away that I maybe be able to provide?" The same folks that call for civility, are often those that tolerate no one's views but their own. This is about pens, basically making square things round - not a discuss about invading a belligerent country. If the IAP or any forum wants to increase its membership, how about letting someone have an opinion and see how you can help? And remember, I am the crazy, rude, mouth-breathing ex NYC'er, that is too stupid to know what is right. And needs the government to re-program me. Holy crap...let members share THEIR experiences. One can be silent, or think differently, and still be right regarding their own personal experience. Imagine one is contemplating joining and reads some of the crap above, do you think they will say, "Hey, this a great bunch of guys/gals, sign me up? Unless there is a death among the members, we hear from the same folks. Sad, that most of us have lived more than 5 decades, probably were willing to sacrifice his/her life for freedom, lost family members during attacks on our own soil, and may have lost loved ones prematurely to a serous illness. Yet, a freakin' pen vendor experience generates 10 counter-posts. We all most be fat and happy.

jttheclockman

Just went to PSI site and they show those same kits now out of stock. As mentioned they are a huge company and we do not know how their inventory system works. None of us are privy to the background of what goes on there and who does what. But they are not going anywhere. If you are not happy than find another vendor. There are plenty of them around. I just found this Jeer to be a little touchy But who am I? There could be many reasons the inventory did not reflect stock. Many times people put items in their carts but do not press the buy button. All of a sudden they do and now does their system have time to make corrections who knows. . It happens. With today's supply chain problems we all have to take that step back. It has gotten somewhat better but again you are dealing with a third party supply chain. Probably when those kits do come back in stock the price goes up and then we will read about those Jeers too. Good luck.

Last edited:

wrjones224

This has kind of blown up. I did ask if I was being too harsh and as expected some agree and some disagree. I can certainly handle others disagreeing with me. At the end of the day I agree with Tony it is not the end of the world.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, just as PSI is entitled to treat their customers how they choose. I make and sell pens as my full time occupation. Maybe I just want a vendor that I spend a lot of money with every year to go a little out of their way to fix a situation just as my customers expect me to do for them.

I can promise that most others in this group that sell pens would go out of their way to fix a customers problem…even if it meant losing a few dollars. Just my 2 cents.

jttheclockman

Ryan, I can tell you are a sensible person and being it is I who started the other side of the coin flip thing here is my final words on this. Look at this this way and you brought it up a couple times that you sell pens for a living. Congratulations and hope sales are good. But you are making a custom piece of work and when a problem comes up it is within your procedure of making that product and your warranty procedure is to correct this. If it becomes a shipping problem you may or may not have control over that but you are dealing with one person. PSI is not making a product. They are a vendor that is a second party to materials and things they sell. They are the middleman so to speak for the maker of these kits and other tools and things. You are not the only one buying from them. As I said before I bet they have no idea how much you spend with them. You are a number. Fixing your problem even if they have enough stock to fix it now affects others. Those people who want to try the kit may not get that opportunity so a customer of theirs is lost. And this could be many. To address their web site I bet they have an outside source that does that too. So to me you and your business is not the same type business that PSI is. I get the customer angle but they need rules to abide by also. That may just be their policy and you can accept or find another vendor. They are a large company. Now I will give you this and when I see people voice their Jeers about customer service with things they do sell that is legit. Especially if they break or poor defective when sold because now they sold a product. Your case no product was sold but a policy of theirs you want them to circumvent because you say you spend alot of money with them. Maybe I am not making my other side of the coin vision clear and probably Tony has bad mouthed me because I am on his hate list for sure. But does not bother me. If anything it has been a spirited discussion and no lives were lost. No one is going to running away from the site because a spirited conversation took place. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone. Just trying to explain what may have happened. I guess unless you talk to someone from PSI they can better explain why they could not do what you want. As far as shipping dates that one is on the entire world. Blame that on everybody including the pandemic. Good luck with your company and I mentioned it before here and maybe you did not see the thread on this topic but if you have a web site please post it in the forum that Jeff and Wayne provided. Share with us all your works of art. I hope no hard feeling came from this thread on my part. Happy Turnings.

Top Bottom