An Old Man’s Neck Breaker ... aka Skateboard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

I rode a skateboard as a kid and my youngest got what's called a Longboard for Christmas. 3 weeks later the 3/4" acrylic deck broke in two. I ordered some 1/4" aluminum plate to make a replacement one. Well the company sent him a replacement and I didn't want to waste the materials. So I built me one. The big soft urethane wheels glide over cracks and ripples and a single push and I can cruise about 200'. I "jeweled" the bottom with 2" overlapping rings, it turned out better than I hoped.

E0C669D2-C297-4D4A-A489-2032265943FD.jpeg

If I don't post for a while, I'll probably just be healing up from my latest spill. It's good I live in South Texas without hills, I could be in some real trouble.

Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

Fine skateboard!

I hung mine up some time ago - but eagerly waiting for a skateboard park to open up on the moon (1/6th of the earth's gravity;)).

More4dan

Fine skateboard!

I hung mine up some time ago - but eagerly waiting for a skateboard park to open up on the moon (1/6th of the earth's gravity;)).

Thanks. Think of how high one could fly on a half pipe on the moon. Couldn't really call it big air though. I'm thinking the longboard and just cruising might be old dude friendly.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

That's a really nice looking board Danny. It's a far cry from what I had as a kid to start with. Ply wood board with medal wheels. Hit a grain of sand with those wheels and the skate board stopped but not the rider.

More4dan

That's a really nice looking board Danny. It's a far cry from what I had as a kid to start with. Ply wood board with medal wheels. Hit a grain of sand with those wheels and the skate board stopped but not the rider.

I've actually rolled on this one on the grass. The wheels are 85mm (3.35 inches) in diameter. My old board would spit me off hitting a sidewalk crack and I would have to push every 10 feet or so. I'm hoping I can get some exercise and some enjoyment at the same time.

Or as others have said, I'll wipe out and pass this sweet board off to one of my sons.

Danny

moke

I was an LEO in a small affleuent town. There were two neighborhoods in particular with younger professionals with children.....we could count on at least four or five calls a year where the Dad/Grandpa's would try to ride a scooter, skateboard, or some type of kids toy and call for an ambulance. They seemed to fall ok, just didn't get up so well. Not saying that is the case, here Danny.....but in my career I saw many, and none of them looked like fun. On the day when Iowa played Iowa State in Football there were generally a couple, but they usually involved some sort of liquid courage.

More4dan

I was an LEO in a small affleuent town. There were two neighborhoods in particular with younger professionals with children.....we could count on at least four or five calls a year where the Dad/Grandpa's would try to ride a scooter, skateboard, or some type of kids toy and call for an ambulance. They seemed to fall ok, just didn't get up so well. Not saying that is the case, here Danny.....but in my career I saw many, and none of them looked like fun. On the day when Iowa played Iowa State in Football there were generally a couple, but they usually involved some sort of liquid courage.

My kids enjoy telling the story Christmas morning trying out my sons new hover board and my heals over my head. I finally got it figured out after a few flips.

I'm thinking a helmet would be a good add.

Danny

JohnU

Takes me back to my youth when I lived on one all summer for a few years. Back then we never had helmets but tried every hill in town. I was more lucky than good. Now I know my limitations and I don't seem to recover as quick as I used to. I'll settle for watching. 😬 good luck!

More4dan

dogcatcher

My stepfather was a "floor bouncer" in a skating rink in the 1930's, he could skate circles around anyone. Both on wheels and ice. My brother and I got skateboards, in early1960s, we could skate with the best as teens. but was having a hard time with skateboards. In his dress USAF blues, he hopped on one of ours, made it half way down the driveway before wiping out. At that time we all decided the skates were easier and lot safer. Over the years I have been back on the boards, but in my 70's, even skates are off limits.

I'm a lot closer to 70 than I am 60 Danny. When I was growing up one of our neighbors was a toy salesman and I always got some really neat stuff before it usually hit the main market. And yep, they were basically roller skate wheels attached to a piece of wood. Couldn't turn on them very easy and I can't tell you how many cars I ran into trying to turn. I think my dad felt bad for all the cuts, scrapes and scabs on my knees, elbows and hands so he bought me one of the first skate boards with non-metal wheels. I wouldn't even attempt to try to ride one now. Probably have a hard time with a bike too.

Top Bottom