IMG_0572[1].JPG
IMG_0565[1].JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevemorris

thanks mal, from a fellow canuck!
sold out of the celtic knots, time to make a new bunch
i'll do a howto thread if there is interest

stevemorris

i start with a 7/8 thick hexagonal blank, it has to be a true hexagon ie all three thicknesses must be the same
i do the kerf cuts using a sled on my bandsaw and use veneer cut to the correct thickness, 0.032", same dimension as the bandsaw kerf
note that kerf cut does not go all the way through, much easier glueup this way!

IMG_0582[1].JPG
IMG_0583[1].JPG

howsitwork

Ah

that's where I went wrong NOT cutting all the way through. That will make glue up a lot easier and lining the segments up too. Think I need to treat the bandsaw to a new blade for this .

thanks for the tip and clear pictures.

Don't think I'll move onto hexagons yet ( but I follow why for the double knot ) , as I've not even mastered Single knot pens !

Oh to be back in Canada , preferably with my Veritas catalogue in the luggage ( "purely accidentally my dear..." ) and to not be at the mercy of our governments / banks exchange rates 😥.

Have a good Christmas and thanks again

Ian

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like those alot! Very nice segmenting.
Thanks for sharing, and I especially appreciate your Maple Band Saw Housing 👍 🤣.

stevemorris

that bandsaw is a real beauty, the star of my antique powertool shop!
its a 1915 Crescent 20 inch, 122 inch blade. i added the rather sparse safety guards. the cover over the upper guide is dovetailed birdseye maple, the actual blade guards are white oak
i will do a thread in the appropiate forum on constructing the celtic knot blanks

Top Bottom