An intro from Rhode Island

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pipecrafter

Howdy, all. I've been making pen kits for years, but have recently started taking the dive into "kitless" pens. My first forays have used front sections left over from kits, and the thread bits for caps. I'm now starting to get more interested in using just the front sections from fountain, ball point, and rollerballs, and making capped pens. I'm toying with using transmissions from retractable pens, but I really prefer caps on my writing instruments.

I'm a pipe maker by trade, so I always have a load of good German ebonite around, as well a huge selection of decorative materials - both synthetic and natural. Obviously, if they're good for pipes, they're good for pens.

I also make knives, so I have a well-stocked workshop complete with grinders, sanders, metal and wood lathes, various saws, and far more gadgets, tools, and attachments than my wife things is truly necessary.

Looks like I'm in good company!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Welcome Kurt, It looks like you will fit right in. We have forums that are specifically targeted to (thinking outside the Box) Penmaking. lots of creative ideas get passed around in there as well as some efforts to get specific tooling made at times.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Kurt, I'm not a smoker, but those are some really interesting pipes! BTW, if you have a supply of ebonite rod, I know a penturning site where you could certainly sell a bunch of it!!

Welcome aboard.

pipecrafter

Thanks guys! With the recent addition of a late 1940s metal lathe to my workshop, I've been itching to get rolling on some more interesting pens. Kits are great, but they sort of limit you to certain shapes and sizes - kind of like using a pre-drilled pipe kit.

Today is my day off from the workshop, but I had a pen idea late last night that might not wait until tomorrow. If I can't resist the temptation I'll probably head down there and make something up out of some synthetic ivory and a nib/feed/carrier that's sitting on my desk.

@WDCAV1952:
From time to time I offer up various kinds of ebonite (black, cumberland, color swirls). It didn't hit me until about 3 months ago that pen turners might be interested in it as well. If anyone is looking for some, just let me know.

Top Bottom