An amazing gift from an amazing gentleman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Folks

A few weeks ago, my friend ( and probably yours too !! :biggrin: ) Peter Hay AKA PenPal, from Down Under, contacted me to say he wanted to send me a little something...... An Australian Penny dated from the year of my birth.
Well, the link is that the Ozzy Penny has a kangaroo on it and anyone who watched telly back in the mid 60's as a kid, would have loved the 'Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo' series. It was really cool !! The kangaroo...Skippy, could 'talk' to his human kid friend or even the bush Rangers, and with just a couple of kangaroo clicks, everyone would understand exactly that 'there was a cave in at the Old Damhead Creek mine shaft and Big Bruce's boy, little Tommy from the Sunset Cattle Ranch Farm, was stuck inside with his dog, and there was a big snake giving them a hard time.....' :biggrin: Well, they'd all pile in the back of the ute and speed off to save the world. :biggrin:

Now, our friend Peter has been around a bit, and I don't mean in age !!:biggrin: After a life changing episode in his life, Peter travelled around a bit, to say the least. Along his travels he actually passed through the town where I now live. Talk about a small world !!:eek: But before my time:wink:

Also on his travels, Peter picked up ( amongst other things ) the Star Ruby that is now in the back of the Ore Skip below.

The base of this wonderful creation is Brown Mallee Burl cap and it took me a few seconds to realise that it has been shaped to be a truly accurate outline of Wales !! But the details don't stop there either !! The sides of the ore Skip have my name, my nickname, the year of my birth, and an abbreviation of my street address. I hope I haven't missed any hidden clues !!:biggrin:

The pen itself is a flawlessly finished double closed ended fountain pen with two toned South American Cocobolo. I love the velvety finish on it. It is really really cool.

Peter took a tumble recently and is still struggling to recover from a few broken ribs. He completed this beautiful gift while recovering. Now, THAT is old school tough !!! :eek:
Please wish him well and a speedy recovery and show your admiration for his amazing skill in putting together this stunning creation.

Thank you again Peter, you are indeed a true craftsman, a true gentleman and a true friend !!

Attachments

• Wales.JPG
    Wales.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 1961 Skippy Penny.JPG
    1961 Skippy Penny.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF3167.JPG
    DSCF3167.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF3166.JPG
    DSCF3166.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now that is cool all the way around. So we find out after all these years you have been telling us lies. You are not a Rat but a Kangaroo. Who would have known it. We will have to have a contest to change your sign-on name. My entry will be

"Skiparoo"

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Woodnick43

Shout out to Skip and Peter

First off, Peter that is a beautiful piece and to Skip for your friendship with Peter.
I as well have pieces from Peter that I will treasure forever. peter has been a good friend and inspiration in my life during some hard times in my life.
I treasure our our friendship and I thank the IAP for the path that started our friendship.
Regards
Don

OZturner

What an Amazing Friendship Steven, between you and Peter.

Congratulations, to Peter, on Conceiving and Executing such an Incredible Work of our Craft, and to Steven, as the Worthy Recipient.

The Concept is Mind Blowing.
The somewhat Cryptic Relationship, and Significance of the Components, the Magnificence of their Execution and Presentation, is Outstanding.
And Justly Requiring a Craftsman of Peters Skills.

It also is Indicative of the Deep Friendship, and Respect between, Peter and Steven.
Long may it Foster and Endure.
Both are Willing and Frequent to share their Unique Knowledge, and Skills and assist the Association Members.

Sorry to hear about your fall Peter, and I trust that you will make a full recovery soon.

Congratulations, Steven, and Peter on your Long and Enduring Friendship, and Mutual Respect. It is Beautiful to see.

Kindest regards,
Brian.

Pierre---

You missed something, Skip: the relief on the burl is the exact 3D map of the Welsh hills. Peter is a dextrous guy!

Last edited:

Dehn0045

It's no surprise that IAP just passed 25,000 members with guys like Peter leading the way. Incredible craftsmanship and beautifully thoughtful.

Top Bottom