Amethyst Maple Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

A new year resolution to make more wooden pens.

So here is a pen made from stabilised maple burl (or burr).

Honestly I am not sure if it counts as a wooden pen, and I did make the threads from acrylic. The section is drilled and tapped acrylic with a wooden sleeve. This is shown on the last picture.

Spec: 13mm cap threads and a 1mm step to a 15mm barrel. Around 140mm long capped, ≈ 132mm open.

Finished with buffing compound. It has what I would describe as a satin finish and even though it looks somewhat textured it is smooth to the touch without being shiny.

Cheers
Ash

DBA35522-E523-4775-AAFD-6CD52CA2BDA7_1_201_a.jpeg53C8E74A-8686-4EA0-BC6A-886E8ACB6C01_1_201_a.jpeg1AD448CB-A82E-4E02-8626-2A11C021D8C5_1_201_a.jpeg11FE552A-EA90-43CB-991F-B5F1A8A1F176_1_201_a.jpegBCBC573E-EF9A-4F47-8541-1F58F2F8FAEC_1_201_a.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very beautiful pen !!!!!

Thanks for showing !!!

Just as a matter of interest, is there any supporting tube (metal or other) inside the wood barrel or cap ?
I am extremely interested in these construction details because I have been contemplating something like this for some time.

Also, what size is the nib ?

Last edited:

Valleyboy

Very beautiful pen !!!!!

Thanks for showing !!!

Just as a matter of interest, is there any supporting tube (metal or other) inside the wood barrel or cap ?
I am extremely interested in these construction details because I have been contemplating something like this for some time.

Also, what size is the nib ?
Thanks Mal
Nothing in terms of supporting tube. The acrylic is part way into both the cap and barrel but this is purely to take the threads. Same for the section.
This is a no6 Bock and the housing comes in at around 8.5mm diameter from memory.
Cheers
Ash

Fred Bruche

Gorgeous, love the colors and the combination. Thank you for sharing (but you should keep some under your sleeve, the Bash kitless contest is coming, I'm sure @darrin1200 would appreciate an entry or two ;))

I have bought a few stabilized blocks to try to build pens like the one you show. A small detail question, do you think it would be possible for the section sleeve to show at both ends? I was thinking it could be cut somewhere in the middle and glued to the drilled wood piece. My concern would be that the acrylic part would be quite thin thus difficult to manipulate. Thoughts?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Splendid artistry Ash. The blank is very interesting! I love the gold - purple section. The profile is excellent, thank you for sharing. 👍

Valleyboy

Gorgeous, love the colors and the combination. Thank you for sharing (but you should keep some under your sleeve, the Bash kitless contest is coming, I'm sure @darrin1200 would appreciate an entry or two ;))

I have bought a few stabilized blocks to try to build pens like the one you show. A small detail question, do you think it would be possible for the section sleeve to show at both ends? I was thinking it could be cut somewhere in the middle and glued to the drilled wood piece. My concern would be that the acrylic part would be quite thin thus difficult to manipulate. Thoughts?
Thank you Fred.
Yes I think it is possible to do what you say and I have considered it myself. I'll give it a go on the next one and if successful I'll let you know how I did it. In order to make minimal changes to my current method it will involve adding an insert of acrylic into the other end, and in my head it's fairly straightforward. Let's see in reality 😊😊
Cheers
Ash

Top Bottom