American walnut and brass - French finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AbleSnail

AbleSnail

One more cigar. American walnut this time. Who of you finishes your pens naturally without using a CA? I am a big fan of the French finish. I have to admit that it doesn't always go according to plan. In this case needs improvement.

I would love to hear your advice as to the finish.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 239
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 236
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
One more cigar. American walnut this time. Who of you finishes your pens naturally without using a CA? I am a big fan of the French finish. I have to admit that it doesn't always go according to plan. In this case needs improvement.

I would love to hear your advice as to the finish.

I have never used CA as a finish bit others like it a lot. I use Wipe on Poly on all my turnings and the after 24 hours I steel wool it and then put a very light coat of WOP on. The following day I use the wax and my buffing wheel. I've used Renaissance wax and minwax floor wax that is used on hardwood floors. It's a finish I like but there are a lot more ideas that I'm sure others will want to share.

AbleSnail

I definitely prefer old methods, such as when there were no chemical solutions yet. That's why I use wax and shellac in my pens.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like Danish Oil for a more natural finish. Even less, but still very nice in certain applications - Filtered Walnut Oil.

magpens

Another beauty, Grzegorz !!!

What brand of French finish do you buy ? . Or do you mix up your own ? . If the latter, I'd appreciate your recipe, please, if you don't mind sharing.

AbleSnail

Another beauty, Grzegorz !!!

What brand of French finish do you buy ? . Or do you mix up your own ? . If the latter, I'd appreciate your recipe, please, if you don't mind sharing.

I mix myself. Ruby shellac and spirit. Still experimenting with proportions. From what I've read, it's worth having some fluids prepared. Rare and dense depending on the finishing stage. I admit whispering, I lost count, so I will not give you a ready recipe, here a rather thick preparation was used.

MRDucks2

I made a pipe stand for my son out of spalted chestnut from a family barn and finished it solely with a carnauba based greenish colored high end automotive finish, friction polished it then hand buffed it out, I think 8 times. Beautiful silky finish than ended up reasonably durable.

Top Bottom