American Style Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I am new to pen turning and have some ideas (have no idea if they are workable but they are ideas [B)])
On the American Sytle pen.. is it possible to eliminate the black section and just turn the wood so that the tip only is used...
I love the look of that pen but really hate the black plastic section at the front... was considering doing a variation that is all wood.. kind of like an American style KC Twist.. (Yeah I know I am probably twisted myself [:p])

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Tom,

What you can do depends on the limitation of the kit. Usually, for the front end of the pen, the important limitation is the length from the tip of the nib to the end of the mechanism, for ball-point pens. It may take a little imagination and ingenuity to leave out a part you don't like, but it can usually be done. If you're talking a rollerball or a fountain pen, then the limitations are different, but still usually depend on the length.

Get back to us with which kit you're working with, and we'll work through the process with you.

Scott.

Randy

I am sure you can do just about anything you set your mind to, but the tip on the American style pen has an inside opening alot smaller than the tube where the plastic piece goes. I too do not like the look of the plastic and that is why I have always liked the convertable pen. It gives you more wood,no plastic piece and a flat top and center ring just like the American style.
I would look at the tip compared to the tube ID and see how they match up. Just realize that the refill is not getting any smaller and you will have to increase your tube length accordingly if you eliminate the plastic piece and ring.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Old Griz,

I'm not sure which American style pen you are referring to. If it is the American Flat-Top Ameroclassic fountain pen kits, there are several things that you can do with them. Look in my photo album for photos of several pens that were made from these kits. The two "Cigar Pens" use the screw-cap and that photo was posted this evening. There are also photos of two pens that were made from the snap-cap kit.

None of these are an easy pen to make, and none of them are a project for the beginning pen turner. I would recommend making a few pens before taking on such a project.

If you are referring to the ball-point pen with the fixed cap, there isn't much you can do to modify that pen. The retract mechanism is in the upper barrel and ties the two barrels together.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The basic of turning these pens is the same as described for the Long-Line pen on my website and "Advanced Pencrafting" video.

I just posted a simpler modificationversion of the American Fountain Pen. Only the end of the pen is modified and the cap and centerband are as provided by the kit parts. This modification is described in the advanced video.

You might check the website and see if this is something you are ready to tackle.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
OK Russ, I am either blind or just plain dumb.. But I can't find that modification on your website... BTW.. that site has been a great help to me... thanks a lot for sharing all that information..

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
That modification is only described in detail in the video, "Advanced Pencrafting", and the photo is not yet in the album on this site. I am sorry for that delay.

The technique for making a closed end on a pen barrel is the same as that described for the Long-Line pen, except that the shape and length of the barrel are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom