American Made

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Amanap

Amanap

I always felt it was a little off when I put fordite on a kit from China or Taiwan even though 99% of people probably won't care. To me something as iconic as the American automotive industry should be on an American kit. It was nice to get a Desire kit before they sold out so I can use some of the fordite I have been holding on to. The fordite if from the GM assembly plant in Fort Wayne and the kit is from McKenzie Penworks. I used CA on fordite for the first time, not sure that I like it but a lot of people saying it protects the fordite. I kind of like this one and will be hanging onto it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220106_041049578.jpg
    PXL_20220106_041049578.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 227
  • PXL_20220106_041010910.jpg
    PXL_20220106_041010910.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 225
  • PXL_20220106_040955369.jpg
    PXL_20220106_040955369.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 206
  • PXL_20220106_040947642.jpg
    PXL_20220106_040947642.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kcimdrib

Great looking Pen not sure if Fordite is available in the UK. If I can find any I may have a go.
The effect you have achieved is staggering.

TonyL

Beautiful pen and concept. I have been applying CA to almost all of my non-wood pens. It does mean that I must fully finish" the pen twice, but I like the additional depth of shine (atleasyt I perceive it), protection, and ease to restore the shine.

magpens

S*U*P*E*R*B ......... SUPERBLY .......... S*U*P*E*R*B .. ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

egnald

Fordite? GMC? Sort of odd that the two would be found together. What was it used for?

Fordite is overspray on the framework that carried automobiles between paint booths and curing ovens in the days of hand painting automobiles. Each successive layer was cured as the frames cycled between the paint booth and the curing oven. It can be quite hard as the deepest layers were baked hundreds of times.

It has become quite rare since the car painting process has significantly changed and the Fordite byproduct is no longer produced. The current Electrostatic painting process virtually eliminates the waste of overspray which was what formed Fordite so better get some while you still can because once it is gone it is gone forever.

Dave

Kcimdrib

Fordite is overspray on the framework that carried automobiles between paint booths and curing ovens in the days of hand painting automobiles. Each successive layer was cured as the frames cycled between the paint booth and the curing oven. It can be quite hard as the deepest layers were baked hundreds of times.

It has become quite rare since the car painting process has significantly changed and the Fordite byproduct is no longer produced. The current Electrostatic painting process virtually eliminates the waste of overspray which was what formed Fordite so better get some while you still can because once it is gone it is gone forever.

Dave
Thanks for that Dave sounds like I am not going to locate it.

egnald

Thanks for that Dave sounds like I am not going to locate it.
At this point in time I don't know that I would go quite that far. I have seen it for sale on Etsy, and eBay as well as on some of the pen making supply companies. For example, WoodTurningz has some listed right now. It's not cheap though - $40 for a blank - something that one would want to take extreme care with when drilling and turning! - Dave

Top Bottom