American Chestnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

One of my earliest pens was made from an american chestnut board salvaged from an old barn. It actually went to a biologist who is working to revive the chestnuts. Not the best shape or best turned but still one of my favorites.

image.jpg

plantman

Jeff; Thank you for posting this link, and thank you Charlie for bringing it to Jeff. It brings back many good memories of my childhood. The lady down the street had a Chestnut tree in her side yard, and every fall she was more than happy to let us kids into the yard to pick up the Chestnuts off the ground. We used to bring pillow cases full of the nuts home and shuck off the prickly hulls to get at the nut inside. I never do remember roasting them over the open fire, but it was always fun to gather them. We have a street named Chestnut in downtown that used to be lined with these huge Chestnut trees, but when they became infected, the city had to cut them all down and burn them. Most were 100s of years old and had been planted when the city was first just starting to grow larger. We also have a street named Elm where there are no longer any Elm trees lining it. Lucky that we still have photos in the library that show these magnificent trees lining our streets. Most people here, now days, have never seen a Chestnut or Elm tree. To bad, so sad !!! Jim S

Last edited:

BSea

This is very interesting reading. At our August meeting last year in a state park, there was a tree nearby which nobody could identify. It urned out to be an American chestnut. I have a few pieces of chestnut from reclaimed barn wood. It's pretty unremarkable other than it's chestnut.

Top Bottom